Thursday, May 1, 2008

Don't be afraid . . .

To let go.

That was what was on my mind when I fell asleep last night. I thought about all the things I have and gave sincere thanks. I'm blessed with so much. I remind myself time and time again, though, that really, most of the things I have, I don't need. I'm grateful for things like my stand mixer, my rice cooker, my knitting and crochet supplies, my car but these are all things that when it comes down to it, are luxuries. I'm not afraid to let those things go if I have to. How interesting that when I woke up this morning to do my journaling and meditation, I picked up Iyanla Vanzant's book and the message for today was on this very topic.

I think people are really panicky now that the economy is in such a slump. They're worried about losing this life they've become accustomed to living. In this country, that life, for a lot of people, revolves around "stuff". Once people can no longer acquire "stuff", they lose their sense of self and their sense of worth. They're fearful about not having and not getting. But when you learn to not be afraid of doing without, when you learn to be fearless, i.e. when fear no longer dictates what you do or what you don't do, you take your power back. I've taken my power back and every day I affirm that fear is not going to be a motivating factor in my life. I know that I'll never be what others want me to be so I'll be who I want to be. I'm not afraid that folks will be disappointed because it's true what I read somewhere . . . I think Dr. Seuss said it: Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. That couldn't be more accurate.

Two weeks in Ghana with sketchy electricity, sometimes running but always cold water, no internet, and a stove that got its gas from a canister sitting next to it made me realize that I can do without a lot of things. I don't necessarily want to do without those things. But I can. And I can be happy too.


Because all I need really are my babies--all three. I need them. And I need to be able to clothe, feed and shelter them well. Everything else is a bonus.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.