Sunday, June 1, 2008

I'm reading another book . . .

I know, I know. Where the heck am I finding time to read? Well, today I was reading with Z2 on my back, rocking him to sleep walking around the house trying hard to get through just one more chapter.

I'm reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan who is also the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma (an excellent read, by the way). In Defense of Food is a book I think everyone should take a moment to read. It discusses the "over-scientification" of eating and enjoins us to "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants". In other words, get back to the root. Food is not the sum of its parts (vitamins and minerals) as science would have you believe. You can't substitute real food for foods created in the laboratory. Eating, as with everything else, should be a conscious endeavor. We ought to be thinking (but not too hard because it's just not that hard) and asking questions about what we put into our bodies. It's not rocket science. It should be a joyous (not stressful) experience. You and I both can figure it out. Eating is supposed to be fun.

The book is well-researched, witty and accessible, if not wordy at times. Well, you all know I don't mind wordiness in the least. ;) I'm enjoying it immensely.

1 comment:

Lionesse said...

going to get this book.
thanx

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.