Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No real good title . . . but lots of random topics

Okay, so before I went to bed last night I started to feel achy. I took some vitamin C to try to ward off what was coming but it hurt my stomach something awful. This morning I woke up feeling just terrible. I still managed to boil the the black eyed peas to make the savory sausage patties for breakfast and to bake the Like Starbucks Blueberry Scones (except I subbed raisins). I was even able to make . . . drum roll please . . . peanut butter chocolate chip cookies! I have been trying to get around to making these cookies for over a month now. I wanted to put them in a package I'm sending to one of my closest friends for her Earthlight (birthday), which was well over a month ago. Disappointing, though, because after I did all that, I felt awful. Pain took over. I felt it in my bones and my head was throbbing. I guess I did a bit too much. I tried to lay down but that did not alleviate anything and since kids don't get the concept of "mommy's sick", I had to suck it up and take two Advil. That helped me get through the day. I can feel it coming back on me right now though. I'm pretty sure this is the same bug Z1 was down with the other day. Luckily, Z2 is breastfed and most likely will not come down with this. Ah! The wonders of breastmilk. Breastmilk, breastmilk, how I love thee, let me count the ways . . . Anyway, I digress. I thought I'd share the recipe for the peanut butter cookies. I don't remember where I originally got the recipe from but these are a wholesome tasting, really delicious cookie especially if you love peanut butter. It's got oats. It's got peanut butter. It's got maple syrup. And to push it over the top, folks, I add vegan chocolate chips. Yum!
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 1/2 cups finely ground oats or oat flour
1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cup. non-hydrogenated margarine
2 tbsp. water
1/2 c maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup granulated cane juice

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, sift together ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat together non-hydrogenated margarine and sugar. Add peanut butter, water, maple syrup and vanilla and continue to beat until well incorporated. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until everything just comes together.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop batter one tablespoon at a time onto sheet. Make the traditional criss-cross pattern with a fork. Bake about 10-12 mins. until lightly browned. Cool on cooling racks.

Feel free to add vegan chocolate chips. Doing that sets these cookies off!

In other news, I am about 90% done with the Baby Surprise Jacket and it is turning out so well. I can't wait to post a picture when it's done. I'm also knitting another wool soaker for Z2--nothing fancy; just functional. I will post a picture of that as well.

I am a serious bibliophile. I.love.books. Always have, always will. I pray my children will develop a love of books the way I love books. I took a moment the other day to organize the children's book case and am quite proud of the little collection I have built for them. I have acquired books mainly at the thrift store and at library book sales. I am pretty sure I have not yet broken the $100 mark when it comes to buying books but their library is really quite extensive, in my opinion, at least as far as children's libraries go. We still go to the public library weekly but the boys have enough books on enough subjects that we really wouldn't feel too pinched if we missed a week or two. This is so pleasing to me especially since I'm 99% sure we will be homeschooling. I think good books will provide a solid foundation for some well-rounded home education. Anyway, I took a a shot of the freshly organized bookshelf. It rarely, rarely looks this way, thanks to Z1's penchant for pulling all the books out of the bookshelf onto the floor. For no particular reason except that he seems to love the motion.

Z1 is doing well at learning to use the toilet. We are still working on "number 2's". A sistren of mine gave me a head's up about boys and poop, i.e., they are not always willing to do it in the toilet. Z1 seems to have a serious aversion to doing it in the toilet. Patience. Patience. And more patience. Still, it is way better washing out undies than dealing with smashed grown man poop diapers. LoL. TMI? Well . . . so goes the life of a mom: always too much information and way too involved knowledge of bowel movements. I'm still celebrating, though, because my big baby boy is using the toilet. We even went to Whole Foods the other day and he didn't have one miss. Yay!!!

How was that for a super long post? :)

1 comment:

mountainannie said...

Peanut butter cookies have got to be my favourite cookie ever! Looks like a great recipe!

I agree that your kid's book collection looks wonderful. We have roughly the same amount of books. Too many and they don't all get read! Wait, is there such thing as too many books?

Yay on the EC, too!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.