Thursday, August 21, 2008

12 Steps to Raw Food by Victoria Boutenko

Is a *huge* disappointment. I should have waited to get it from the library (it had been on hold for several weeks).

The majority of the book is devoted to the "why" of eating raw foods and not the "how" as the book's title suggests. Boutenko spends endless chapters providing justification for eating a raw food diet, trying to establish the superiority of a raw food diet over a cooked food diet. Other parts of the book try to establish the spiritual connection to eating raw foods and suggest ways to make raw food eating a part of a complete lifestyle overhaul. Not.what.I.was.looking for.

I think the book should be titled Why and How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food and subtitled 12 Steps to Raw Foods. Boutenko basically approaches eating cooked food as an addiction (instead of as a learned behavior) and so she tries to provide a 12 step plan similar to Alcoholics Anonymous.

Maybe 10 pages are actually devoted to how to go about eating raw food.

Okay, I've already been down the dogmatic diet road with strict vegetarianism. I don't need or want any more lectures!!

3 comments:

Lionesse said...

Thanks! Now I won't ever buy it ;)

Tara said...

I don't know how you feel about e-books but I really loved this book called Frugal Raw. I thought it was very practical, lots of good recipes, not dogmatic at all. http://frugalrawnews.blogspot.com/ I hope that helps! I'm not affiliated at all, I just really liked the book. I lucked out with the first two raw food books I bought and really like them both- Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet and Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen. I hope that helps!

P.S. I LOVE your blog! Hopped over from MDC. :-)

Chi-Chi said...

Oooh, thanks for the book suggestions Tara. I'll check them out.

Oh and I'm so glad you like my blog!!! :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.