Monday, August 18, 2008

Raw

So I've really been focused on incorporating more raw foods. I read somewhere that you can reap the full benefits of eating raw by eating 75% raw. Right now, we are at 20%, maybe. But I'm proud to say that for the past few days we've been having green smoothies in the morning. I have been using Dr. Oz's recipe for green drink and we really like it. I also have been making another green smoothie:

one bunch kale
2-3 oranges
2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
1/2 cup pure water
1 banana

Dr. Oz's recipe is heavier on the veggies and that's the kind of smoothie that I think is most beneficial, i.e. a higher ratio of leafy greens to fruit. But the fruit definitely makes it much more enjoyable, and as I re-learned, the acidity helps the body digest the greens.

The other day I made raw oatmeal which was not bad. It was interesting to note how much I really wanted the oatmeal to be warm. It had an interesting taste and texture, though, and will take some getting used to. I will have to try other grains because rolled oats are not really raw (they are steamed in the flaking process). Oat groats may or may not be raw. I'm not quite sure how I will know so other grains might fit the bill better.

I will be getting my dehydrator from the basement and learning how to use it. I'd like to try my hand at some raw crackers to go with the Spanish Breakfast Omelet:


I'd also like to make this Cream of Zucchini soup but that will have to wait till Wednesday when I go to the Farmer's Market. I see that doing this raw thing will require me going out the Farmer's Market weekly. That is the only practical way to get locally grown, often organic fresh fruits and vegetables for a very good price. When the season is over, my only other choice will be the Whole Foods. Both the FM and WF require me to drive but there's really no options in my town for fresh, organic produce. Forget locally grown. You should have seen the sad state of affairs at the vegetable store today (I was just trying to get a few greens to hold us over till Wednesday). Peaches were damn near rotten and they were still trying to sell them for 99 cents a pound. They should have been 25 cents a pound. That might have induced me to buy some to make a cobbler.

Estimates say that using my regular old Osterizer this much will burn the thing out in about 2 months. We will then invest in a Vitamix. I won't be getting the dry container though because I have a food processor. I hope we can find a good deal on a re-furbished one.

I've noticed the Z1 really likes mango. I'm looking for a smoothie (green) that he will actually drink. Mango might be the key.

Thinking of getting one more (expensive azz) book by Alissa Cohen. I really like her site and I've read good things. Plus the recipes look delicious (DH says they look crazy but whatever).
Anyway, I'm excited (and cautious) and inviting anyone who wants to join me to come on along! :) I could use the support.

3 comments:

80sBaby70sSoul said...

I would love to join you in eating 75% raw. Just let me know what we're eating everyday! This should help me/us shed some extra pounds!

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying your blog. You have a knack for telling it like I am sitting with you for tea! :-) I am also glad to see you talking about raw food.
I am a huge proponent of raw foods. I am trying very hard to achieve 100% raw. I am at about 80% now. I am VERY concerned that ALL of the benefits of raw are about to be eradicated because of our produce worldwide being irradiated!

Anyone concerned about nutrition in our food should become aware quickly. We only have until 2009!
Thanks for a fantastic, informative blog!
Shelley
p.s. there is a health directory on the site. Please add your blog!

Chi-Chi said...

Anonymous . . . wow, I can't believe that all the produce will be irradiated. I'm off to do some research.

Congrats on your success at being raw. I know you will reach 100% in due time!

Thanks for reading my blog! :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.