Saturday, August 23, 2008

Red Lentil Soup with East Indian Spices (Masoor Dahl)

A favorite around here. I made it for dinner the other night when I had my friend and my sister over. I thought I'd share the recipe. It's very simple to make and delicious. It is so filling when paired with a well-dressed salad and freshly baked bread.

I like to add chopped green vegetables to any soup I am making because Z1 does not like greens at all. This time I added frozen chopped spinach but chopped kale works great too. I generally never use plain water to make soups--I add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable broth powder. You could use vegetable broth.

The salad was made with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers all from the farmer's market. I dressed it with a simple vinaigrette: 1 to 1 apple cider vinegar to extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, some Dijon mustard and maple syrup. I'd baked the bread the day before so it was still very moist and fresh. (Yes, that is Earth Balance slathered all over the bread. I tried to do olive oil and salt on bread the other day instead of EB. Not a good look. So I'm taking suggestions on what could replace EB in my life.)

Everyone really seemed to enjoy the dish and I just thought it would be a great recipe to share with everyone because of how easy it is.

3 comments:

Black Mother said...

hmmmm...this sounds wonderful, and i looked at the recipe...it was rather simple.

the salad seemed like the perfect choice.

thanks for sharing.

mikaela said...

That looks great, and I think I have all the ingredients in the house. You may have just determined my family's dinner -- thanks! :)

Chi-Chi said...

My pleasure to share! :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.