Saturday, September 20, 2008

I popped . . .

My double stroller tire. I have a Phil & Ted's Sport and the tires are all air-filled which makes walking really enjoyable. Usually on Saturday, I take the boys for a nice long walk in the stroller. I look at houses and listen to music, Z1 chatters away and sings to himself, and Z2 just cools out. So around 4:00 PM, I wrassle Z2 into the stroller because the brother really hates being strapped into anything. I head out. Along the way, I notice that a car repair shop is open and so I figure I might try to get them to help me put some air in the tires. There were three mechanics: two young ones and an older one who I think owned the place. One of the young ones comes over to help me and asks the older one permission to fill the tire. The older one tells me that I have to take the children out of the stroller but after struggling to get Z2 in there, I really don't want to. So I tell him that it's okay, that I've filled it before with them in there and it was not a problem. He is not having it and says to the younger guy that if I don't take the kids out, that I should do it myself because "I don't want nobody coming after me". Now, I don't know who crossed him before but isn't such a damn shame that in this society we live in, you can't trust people anymore? I really didn't want to do it myself as I had on a not-so-comfortable skirt and I didn't want to mess up my hands. But whatever, the guy got the hose out for me. It was a strange looking hose and I had to fiddle with it quite a bit. A first I was just taking air out of the tire and then I realized that the other nozzle would probably put air into the tire. So I finally get the air pumping and I'm about to take the nozzle off to check the pressure with (oh so cute, bought specifically for this purpose) pressure gauge when **PLAM**. The tire explodes. Shit. Not only am I embarrassed as hell (because it looks like I don't know what the hell I'm doing even though I've done it tons of times before) but my tire is busted. I can't even patch it. That's how busted it is.

I call the hubby. He asks how it happens and I tell him and he says, "Well, I can't do anything from work, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" and I say to myself, "Self, now why did you waste your time calling him? . . . you knew what he would say." So I call around to some other folks to see if I can get some numbers to somewhere--just trying to figure out what to do next. I'm rolling my broke down stroller the two or three blocks it takes to get back home. I get my niece to get me the number to a baby store where they carry my stroller and I find out they don't carry parts but that any bike store would. The only bike store I know is two towns over. Meanwhile, the hubby has called me like 4 times already while I'm on the phone. I'm finally call him back like, "Yes?" And he says, "There's a bike store on the avenue"--I cut him off because I'm already driving to the one I know. Why didn't he volunteer this info when I called him? Whatever.

By the time I get to the bike store, The Z's are knocked out cold. Darn it. Z1 has no bladder control when he's sleeping. Anyway, I put Z2 on my back and Z1 in the single stroller and go and get a new tube. Z1 is still sleeping. I head over to the grocery store across the street but then decide to go back to the bike store to get a pump because honestly, I'm tired of folks snickering at me and asking me if I know what I'm doing when I go to the gas station to put air in the tires. Z1 is still sleeping. Of course, he's peed on himself. Great.

I was planning to make some cornbread following this recipe from perhaps my favorite food blog Nyam: Adventures in Cooking and Eating. Would the grocery store have some simple, plain old corn meal? Of course not. That would be too easy.

The day would have been a complete bust if three things had not happened earlier:
1. We went to the thrift store and I was able to score 5 books for a dollar a piece:The Temple of My Familiar by Alice Walker, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I've read The Kite Runner and Memoirs of a Geisha before but they are definitely ones to have in the library and to re-read. I'm looking forward to reading the other three after I get done with what I'm reading now (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn).
2. We went to get Z1 some sneakers that he could wear with thicker socks for the fall. The price on the box read $29.99 but they rang up $20.73. WooHoo. It's great to be a "preferred customer" even though I'm not sure what qualifies me for that. Granted, these sneakers are themed sneakers (Disney Pixar's Cars) and they light up but Z1 was so pleased with them, I couldn't deny him. He's never even seen Cars but I guess he likes the character (Lightning McQueen).
3. We went to the playground and after we were there for a while, my good friend and her two kids arrived quite unexpectedly. Oh, Z1 was beside himself and it was such a joy to see how lovely and nice her two babies are growing, so tall, healthy and beautiful. My friend and I re-committed to seeing each other regularly again.

So overall, it was a good day with some bumps. The boys have been down almost an hour. The kitchen is clean. All the towels and table linens have been changed. I'm about to make a cup of tea and relax until the hubby gets home.

3 comments:

blackgirlinmaine said...

That cornbread looks delish, I will definitely give that a try this week.

Sorry about the tire but glad the thrifting and shoe shopping went well.

Chi-Chi said...

Thanks!! The thrifting and shoe shopping redeemed the day.

Doesn't the cornbread look good? Once I get my hands on some corn meal, I'm going to make it too. I just have to veganize it. :)

80sBaby70sSoul said...

(((hugs))) Here's to hoping tomorrow will be MUCH better!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.