Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Yum, Yum!! Pumpkin Muffins!!

So I made the Pumpkin Muffins using the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance (which can also be found here) and which I've posted below.They were, simply put, delicious. We gobbled them up. I still have half the can of pumpkin (which I found on sale for $1.20 a while back and again today for $1.50--not quite as good a deal but better than the $2.00 Trader Joe's was trying to sell it to me for). I'm going to make another batch probably Thursday or Friday just to use up the remainder.

Here's the recipe:
PUMPKIN MUFFINS (by Isa)
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or from a can)
1 tablespoon soy yogurt
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease muffin tins with vegetable shortening or spray on oil.

Sift together dry ingredients (flour through cloves). In a seperate bowl, wisk together wet ingredients (pumpkin through molasses). Pour wet into dry and combine. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way. Bake for 27-30 minutes, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

------------------------------------
The recipe makes 6 jumbo muffins (or 12 regular sized muffins--reduce the time you keep them in the oven). I halved the amount of sugar and they were still *very* sweet. More like a pumpkin cupcake than a muffin. If I were to make these for breakfast, I'd probably cut the sugar more.

Yo, seriously well worth it. A wonderful harvest treat. Can't wait to make more!!

In other not-so-wonderful news, a brick of tofu at Trader Joe's (tofu serves as our "break" from beans) has gone up to $1.70. When I first started going to TJ's, I was getting a brick for $1.00 (or at most $1.25). I am not lying. Dang-nabbit! Am I going to start having to make my own tofu too????!!!

Uggh.

7 comments:

*Sirius~Wizdom said...

I absolutely love your blog! Peace & blessings!

I am the sum of my parts said...

Hey Mama, these look delicious. I have been making the pumpkin bread ever since you directed me to www.theppk.com sometime back. It is so easy and always a smash with the fam. I also cut the sugar by half sometimes more and add raisins and it is still very sweet. I think it is more muffin like than bread. I may give this recipe a try too... it seems almost identical except that it has soy milk and yogurt. Thanks you again for putting me on to that recipe!

Just Me said...

How funny! I just got back from the store picking up the makings for pumpkin muffins. Great minds think alike. Your recipe sounds fab!

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey,

Yum!

Those look sooo good!

You need to start a home business during the holidays, just making treats for people and delivering them! You really have baking talents!!

(smiles)
Lisa

Chi-Chi said...

Hey Lisa!

I just really wanted to thank you for such an awesome idea!! I ran it by the hubby and he said one of his co-workers is really doing well for herself using holiday baking as her "side-hustle". She bakes holiday bread and pairs it with a bottle of wine in a lovely gift bag and folks love it. According to DH, she's doing brisk business. I'm definitely doing a little research now to see how I could do it. So thanks again!!

Tara said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I've made two batches now and they are delicious. I topped one of the batches with maple icing from How it All Vegan and called them cupcakes. They were a huge hit! I still have a bunch of pumpkin puree left so I suspect there will still be a few more batches to go. Yum!

Chi-Chi said...

Oooh, maple icing would definitely set these muffins off!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.