Thursday, November 20, 2008

I've Been Tagged!

So I've been blogging for a little while now and I never really imagined I would enjoy it so much. What I am really surprised about is how in starting my own blog, I found so many other fantastic blogs. One such fantastic blog is The Glamazon Chronicles by OG. OG is the person who "tagged" me and I'm so tickled. So I'm taking out time this morning to do my "Tagged Duty". I've been thinking about it so here goes . . .
First the Rules:













Seven Random or Weird Facts
1. Even though I'm a very picky eater, I enjoy eating strange combinations of food. For example, cheese and jelly, pickles and fish sticks, yogurt and peanuts. My husband and friends joke that I eat like a pregnant person even when I'm not pregnant. Also random, I have never eaten lobster or clams or squid. And I never want to.

2. I scored a perfect score of the verbal section of my SAT and on the SATII writing exam and was 20 points away from scoring a perfect score on the SATII American History. In high school, I took three AP courses and scored a perfect score on 2 out of the three. I can't believe how important my scores were to me when I was younger and how inconsequential they are not to my life. They mean nothing now and honestly, I wish I had enjoyed school more instead of working so hard to be "perfect". I really missed out on my teen years!!

3. On each hand, I have the "nub" of what would have been an extra finger. The one on my left hand is larger than the one on my right. As a baby, the doctor tied off the extra fingers (no bone or nerves or anything) and it fell off. But the "nub" is still there. I've always been self-conscious/embarrassed/ashamed of it. In school when we were asked to hold hands, kids gave me such a hard time about the nub and often would refuse to hold my left hand. The hubby melted my heart when we were dating/getting serious by kissing the nub.

4. I wear glasses. Thick. Super Duper Thick. I cannot see a thing without my glasses and the first thing I do in the morning is feel around for them. I worry that if there's a situation and my glasses get broken or knocked off, I'm in a real pickle!! I also have astigmatism some buying contacts is an (expensive) royal PITA.

5. I wanted to be an opera singer when I grew up. I listened obsessively to Kathleen Battle and other Black opera singers and I knew that's what I wanted to do. I practiced and practiced and practiced (much to my mother's annoyance). In high school, one racist teacher "demanded" to know where I learned to sing opera, saying that "hood girls" don't know anything about classical music.

6. I also wanted to be a doctor and was well on my way. I started college in a combined B.S./M.D. program commuting from home. I did horribly and left the program in hopes of becoming a doctor the traditional way. After an all day chemistry lab where by 9:00PM I had no results, I finally decided that the sciences were not for me and found my way to the English department. I graduated with a degree in English lit and a minor in Black studies and I never looked back.

7. I hope to retire to Ghana after I become famously rich here in the United States. I visited for the first time last summer and fell in love. Oh, the two-week trip wasn't easy. I had a 2 year old, was 3 months pregnant, got woefully sick with stomach virus after eating undercooked eggs accidentally but it was fabulous and beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time. Interestingly enough, I did not get on the computer or check my e-mail for the whole two weeks. It was a great detox and I hope to have the discipline to do another two-week detox right here in the states.

Bonus Random Fact
My first name has 11 letters in it.
My middle name has 12 letters in it.
My maiden last name has 7 letters in it
My married last name has 9 letters in it.
My last name is hyphenated. So my whole name has a total of 39 letters in it.
(As a 4 year old, learning to write my name was, I was convinced, slow, painful torture!)
---------------------------------------
Now for the folks I'm tagging!
1. Nya over at 80sBaby70ssoul
2. Amoi over at I am the sum of my parts
3. Just me at My Little Slice of Pie
4. Anaylli at Nyam: Adventures in Cooking and Eating
5. Kellybelle at Ephphatha
Hmmm . . . I need two more but I don't have two more. The two more would have probably been OG (but she tagged me and if you're reading this, it was great to read your 7 random things . . . LoL!) and Black Girl in Maine.
Anyway, tagged folks, I hope you'll do it!! :)



9 comments:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

YAY!!Thanks for playing!

Get this. Of the 7 people on my list two had extra fingers. Did you know Raven on my list was born with extra fingers and she listed as one of her 7? How cool is that.

YAY!! I'm ust so glad you shared!!

-OG

Chi-Chi said...

That's wild! And very cool.

Oh, it was my pleasure to share. Very fun!! And, again, Thanks for tagging me !! :)

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...

Yay! This sounds like so much fun! Thanks for tagging me! Now to come up with 7 others to Tag
Sabrina

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there!

This is so interesting!

I am sooo glad I am never tagged for stuff like this because I would not know what to contribute!!

You mentioned the doctor tying your extra fingers until they fell off. Doing THAT would be malpractice in this country!! A doctor can not leave a part of the finger that was supposed to be removed! There is a surgical procedure remove fingers (and parts of fingers). I am sure you don't want to go through the surgery to have the nubs entirely removed but the procedure IS available here.

I enjoyed reading all of your random facts!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

blackgirlinmaine said...

You know if you ever come to Maine, I will personally hook you up with some lobster. (smile) If you eat fish sticks, you should try lobster, of course we also have clams, scallops, and shrimp so its a seafood paradise.

Girl, I thought I had a lot of letters in my whole name but you got me beat. LOL

Chi-Chi said...

@Lisa, I don't know about the surgery as a baby as I was born in the U.S. and that's standard procedure for babies (at least all the other "nubby" folks I know say that's how they had their's removed). I think if there was bone and nerve, they'd go for surgery. LoL . . . I should have tagged you!!! I'd love to hear some random facts about you!

@BGIM, I never had any desire to come to Maine until I was studying lighthouses with Z1. Who knows? Maybe we'll make a trip one day and then I can get my first taste of lobster (although DH says it ain't nothing to write home about!).

I am the sum of my parts said...

Ok... So I'm going to do my duty but I've been so out of touch that I think I need a day or so to figure out who to tag! Lol... I've been so delinquent!!!!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.