Monday, December 22, 2008

Gingerbread Cookies, Pancakes and Reusable Bags

No, there's no clever connection between the three but I thought I'd talk about the three of them in one post anyway.

Firstly, gingerbread cookies. It's the holiday season and it's the one and only time I make these. I absolutely hate rolling out cookie dough and using cookie cutters. I think aside from being annoying, it's also wasteful. In any case, last Friday I was going to do a cookie swap. I made about 2 dozen gingerbread cookies only for it to snow. The swap was canceled. We couldn't finish the cookies on our own and by now, they're getting stale. But Z1 had a great time using the cookie cutter. I use Paula Deen's Ginger Cookie Recipe except that I make it vegan by using Earth Balance buttery spread (the EB's shortening or refined coconut oil, i.e. tasteless and odorless coconut oil work well too) and one egg replacer. I also add a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and a touch of vanilla extract too. Not everyone is a fan of gingerbread cookies and while I don't love them the best out of all the cookies I make, I enjoy them. Plus, they're very holiday-ish. :)

Secondly, pancakes. Now, I have had a heck of a time making vegan pancakes over the last couple of years. I have been using a recipe that is just so-so until today. I borrowed You Won't Believe It's Vegan, a cookbook by Lacey Sher and Gail Doherty from the library and tried their recipe. I did have to add some sugar, a little cinnamon and nutmeg, and a touch more liquid than the recipe called for but the texture was absolutely *perfect*. Fluffy and light and cooked all the way through. Delicious. I wish I had made the full recipe (I made half because I wasn't sure how they would turn out.)

And thirdly, I find that in my predominantly Black town (the town is basically split in half by the proverbial tracks--I live on the not-so-great side of the tracks but it's not quite so bad because I'm still relatively close to the tracks . . . I guess), I'm one of the very few folks who use reusable bags. I don't mind because I'm one of the few folks who do a lot of things up in this hood. Despite some of the funky looks cashiers give me when I hand them my bags (because using plastic bags is so methodical and habitual), I really have made using reusable bags a good habit. And I hope more folks start bringing their own bags. Now, I know it's chic to use reusable bags and they're all kinds of designer reusable bags. I'm not a designer girl. I've bought most of my reusable bags at the thrift store for 50 cents to a dollar a piece. Basically I buy nice, strong canvas bags and they work very well. I also have canvas bags that I've collected free from events and stuff. Of course, all my bags are all mismatched but I couldn't care less. They do the job. At one point, I went to www.reusablebags.com and purchased reusable produce bags, basically unbleached cotton bags. Now, the concept behind these are great: no more of those small, clear plastic bags to hold your produce. The only problem is that it makes checking out a royal pain in the behind because the cashier has to look into each bag to figure out what it is you're trying to buy. A minor inconvenience that has pretty much kept me from using them consistently. But they make great tea bags and nut bags (for making almond milk).

And lastly, Just Me over at her blog My Slice of Pie posted Monday's Meal: Buttermilk Biscuits which inspired me for tomorrow's breakfast. I've got some tempeh bacon marinating in the fridge right now and we'll have that with the biscuits. Yum. I can't wait!!!

Four totally unrelated topics, I know, but, it is what it is. :)

12/23/08, 10:49AM ETA:

Breakfast was the bomb today!! Thanks just me for the recipe (which I vegan-ized)!! Simple with fabulous results. Yum!!

3 comments:

MyLoveMyLife said...

i looks WONDERFUL!!! i LOVE ur blog cant get enough

Raet said...

I love bread. The biscuits have my mouth watering. You inspire me sistar! I have had a few days off of work. I had time to make vegan pancakes from scratch. I usually buy a mix. Howvever, Wholefoods no longer has the mix I like.

Raet

blackgirlinmaine said...

Yummy!I hear ya on the reusable bag, mine arean't sylish at all but they do the job.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.