Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Most Essential Kitchen Tool?

Okay, I have quite a few drafts of posts saved but such limited time to post the way I want to. Anyway, here's one that's been languishing but that, of course, I'm excited to post because, well, it's about what I do the most (besides taking care of my babies): cooking.
--------------------------------
About a year ago, I finally got frustrated enough with my $10 flea market knife (that needed to be sharpened every two minutes). It took double the time to cut everything and I could never do precision/fine dicing without resorting to using my food processor. So with the encouragement of the hubby (because, it seems, I can tolerate nonsense a whole lot longer than he can), I started to do the research/learn about knives. I wanted a knife that was strong and that would last. Something that could get really sharp and hold that sharp for some time. I wanted something that was versatile and that felt good in my hand. So I looked all over, read all kinds of articles, asked on some message boards and finally decided to purchase a
Henckels Professional ''S'' 8" Chef's Knife

How it's described
Sturdy, heavy knife with broad, strong blade and fine cutting edge. The all-around for professionals and hobby chefs cleans vegetables, minces herbs and chops anything. Also known as the cook's knife, it's the workhorse of all kitchen knives. Knife handle is rocked up and down with one hand while the fingers of the other hand rests lightly on the back of the blade.

Designed for professional chefs with a forged blade of high-carbon stainless steel that resists stains, rust and corrosion. Henckels products, hand-crafted in Solingen, Germany since 1731, set the world standard for appeal, function and style. The trustworthy quality and tradition of these riveted knives is easily visible by the full tang and the full length of solid steel. Classical styling and state-of-the-art technology in blade manufacturing combine to form the TWIN Pro-S Series.

Oh, yes, ya'll, I love this knife. It is indeed the most essential of all my kitchen tools. I can go from slicing carrots to finely dicing onions, to chopping tomatoes and grapes. It makes short work of even the tallest mountain of food preparation.

The fact that the blade is eight inches allows me to use the knife to carve and skin things with ease. I'm very happy I didn't get a longer blade. In the beginning, though, I had problems getting a good sharp on the knife's blade. I fumbled around a bit before I decided to just go on ahead and get an electric knife sharpener. I purchased the PrestoPro EverSharp at Amazon.com and it sharpens the knife flawlessly. As a bonus, the hubby also sharpens all the knives in his collection (which include some passed on to him from his grandfather). Look, when this sharpener gets done with a knife, it is truly a lethal weapon.

I bought the knife itself at Bed, Bath and Beyond and with a coupon I had, I don't think I paid more than $80. But in terms of the efficiency that it has brought to my life in the kitchen and now that I know how valuable a good knife is to a serious cook, I would have easily paid double.

So, I'd like to know, what is your most essential kitchen tool (not appliance but tool)?

3 comments:

George Erdosh said...

Kitchen tools? I devoted a full chapter to them: Kitchen Tools to Keep, Kitchen Tools to Trash in my latest book (Nov/08):

“Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods” www.eloquentbooks.com/TriedandTrueRecipes.html
www.howfoodswork.blogspot.com

Check it out!

blackgirlinmaine said...

Yeah, I am realizing I need some good knives. I used to have good ones but when we relocated we left our good stuff which I now regret. Your knife looks lovely.

Just Me said...

Oh, that is nice. There's a knife store near me that I take my scissors to get sharpened and I always drool over the merchandise. Enjoy! Hey...maybe you can come over and chop up some stuff for me.
BTW, I'm about 90% done w/the quilt. I'm handsewing the binding on.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.