Monday, January 5, 2009

Had to share!!

Found it on What About Our Daughters today and it is to promote the involvement of fathers in the lives of their children:

More than 79% of Americans feel “the most significant family or social problem facing America is the physical absence of the father from the home.” Research shows that the lack of a father in the home correlates closely with crime, educational and emotional problems, teenage pregnancy, and drug and alcohol abuse.

In an effort to show dads the critical role they play in their children’s lives, the Ad Council has partnered with the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse and volunteer ad agency Campbell-Ewald to create a new PSA campaign that communicates to fathers that their presence is essential to their children’s well-being. The campaign provides fathers with the information they need to become better dads. Ad Council



I'm especially touched because it's a father and daughter. My own personal experience says that a healthy self-image, self-love, self-respect comes in large part from a father being a loving and stable presence in a child's life. For little Black girls, constantly under attack by the media, it's even more important!

2 comments:

blackgirlinmaine said...

Despite the fact that my father in his current state drives me crazy, I am so thankful he has always been around. One of my best memories is when I started my first cycle at 11...well my Mom called Dad at work to tell him and he came home with the largest cake for me. LOL I thought every month I was going to get a cake.

Anyway thanks for sharing this, Dads are important.

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hello there,

I saw this video at Character Corner last year and it made me smile! I was a cheerleader in elementary school so that little girl cracked me up!

I am thankful that I did have a father who was very involved and who really wanted to be a father.

There are many men out here today who don't want to be fathers.

My father truly desired that role and he was devoted to that role and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for this video!! I hope that black folks contact the Ad Council to give positive comments about that ad so that whoever thought about that concept receives the recognition he/she deserves!

They won't know how that ad impacted the black audiences that have seen it unless we let them know!

If they get positive feedback, they may produce more ads like it!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.