Monday, February 2, 2009

Raw Homemade Lara-Type Bars

So this summer I'm determined to go at least 50% raw. I already have a green smoothie nearly every morning and I'm eagerly anticipating the return of farmer's markets and getting our garden going so that I can incorporate organic, locally grown produce back into my family's diet. Right now, we're mostly conventional except for frozen organics. We are still eating plenty of fruits and vegetables but I couldn't swing the cost of organics from Whole Foods right now.

Anyway, in thinking about going raw I realized that I never shared my recipe for Homemade Lara Bars. Lara Bars are simple (you will recognize every ingredient) but delicious and surprisingly filling. Because the ingredient list is so simple, they are easy to replicate at home.

Pineapple Coconut Homemade Lara-Type Bar
You'll need:
1/2 c raw almonds (I get mine at Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup dried dates (about 6-8)
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
6-8 dried pineapple rings, soaked for 15 mins.
1-2 tbsp soaking water

Grind nuts in food processor till fine. Add dates, shredded coconuts, pineapples and process adding water (start with 1 tbsp) till the mixture comes together. Roll into balls or press into a pan and cut into bars.

Apple Homemade Lara-Type Bar
You'll need:
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup dried dates
1/2 cup dried apple rings
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
dash cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder
1-2 tbsp. water

Follow the same process as above, making sure to grind the nuts first.

These will keep for a couple of days in the fridge and are a really great, handy, satisfying snack.

The variations are endless but the basic formula includes dates and raw almonds. Commercially produced Lara Bars come in a myriad of flavors and is a great starting point for your own experimentation.

8 comments:

Raet said...

Fantastic, thanks.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Always welcome. Let me know how they turn out when you make them.

DeStouet said...

I will be making these soon.

DeStouet said...

Also, what is your recipe for the green smoothie?

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

DeStouet, the green smoothie is
1 cup filtered water
3 oranges
2-3 pears or 2-3 apples
2 handfuls of greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc)
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1 banana

Delicious! :)

DeStouet said...

Thank you!

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Pioneering Concept to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 20 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

Blogger said...

eToro is the #1 forex trading platform for new and pro traders.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.