Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ready to give making soymilk and tofu a try

We had a soymilk maker that I returned because what I really wanted at the time was to make rice milk (which was a huge mess in the soy milk maker). Since I'm no longer as wary of soy as I once was and since we are eating tofu and drinking soy milk (in porridge and tea) regularly, I think I'm ready to give it another go. I think the hubby would be down for re-purchasing a soymilk maker (that's the link to the one we had before) but I'd like to give making it without one a try. I can get soybeans pretty inexpensively and I would need to find a tofu press (to get bricks of tofu as opposed to balls and other odd shapes) as well as an large inexpensive stainless steel pot (you need three stock type pots and I only have two). I may employ the hubby to think of some kind of homemade tofu press.

The process for making soy milk and tofu actually doesn't seem as daunting as it once did. However . . . this morning's workout was another bust since Z2 woke at 6 on the dot. Do I really want to add anything onto the hecticness of things right now?? We'll see. I'm really leaning towards it though. I think that would be a great step towards self-sufficiency especially if I could grow my own soybeans.

Photo Credit: "Tofu Press" by ashe-villain on Flickr.com

5 comments:

st. teresa lent me her halo said...

When I saw the photo, I thought this post was going to be about making soap. LOL Good luck with the tofu!

supremeultimate said...

Hey Chi-Chi, I have two questions. Why are you no longer wary about soy as you once were? And, how difficult would it be for you to grow your own soybeans?

Guidance.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

St Theresa . . . LoL . . . one of these days maybe I'll make soap. Maybe. Thanks!!

Ensayn, well personally I have a tendency to go off the deep end. I read some disturbing studies about soy and got all freaked out and eliminated soy totally from our diet. Then I caught myself and figured out it's best to just be in balance. So we don't overdo soy. Just a little in tea . . . scrambled tofu with like 1/4 the amount of tofu we used to use, etc . .. It's all about balance. Not too much of any one thing.

I don't know how difficult it would be to grow the soybeans. They seem to sprout easily inside but I'm not sure how they'd do outside. It would be an experiment (as is all my gardening endeavors because I'm a rank newbie). :)

Ensayn1 said...

Thanks for the response. I have read about the negatives of soy, but as you say its all about balance. On growing soybean, give it a try. For me each year I am in the process of learning something in the garending arena!

Sabrina said...

How did it turn out?

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.