Friday, August 21, 2009

How long have you gone without . . .

Knitting or crocheting? That is, if you knit or crochet.

It's been weeks since I've picked up knitting needles or a crochet hook. I'm just not motivated right now. It could be because of the heat but also, I'm so busy running around after Z2 who is into everything now that he's gotten the hang to this walking (and climbing) thing. Maybe as the weather cools down, I'll get my mojo back. I have some very cool projects . . . okay, maybe not that cool since my crafting is on a serious budget right now . . . but some great projects in the wings. I also really hope to finish by the end of this year the Sweater for Emma and the Monkey Socks because honestly, it's getting ridiculous.

On another note, I took a walk to "The Avenue" which is basically the main street/business area of the town I live in. A few weeks ago when I was there I noticed that one of the Korean-owned dress stores (you know the kind that sells, for way too much money, cheaply made cute clothes that will only last you this season before they start to disintegrate ) was closing down. Today, what did I find? That store is now replaced by . . . wait for it . . . you guessed it!
Another beauty supply store. Another beauty supply store? Yes. It's mind-boggling. There are about six, yes SIX, beauty stores on the main strip of avenue which, I kid you not, is not even 1/4 mile long. And all are in business and doing smashingly well. What recession (or depression if you want to really be real about it)? Black women must needs their fake hair (that is the main thing these stores sell although you will find cheap makeup and other beauty supplies).

I read this blog entry before over at Black Conscious Thought and I just shook my head. I had seen the documentary before (you should too . . . Von embeds it in the post) and thought to myself what a shame it was. I don't buy many beauty products. I'm really simple when it comes to these things but I do go into these beauty supply stores to get my nail polishes, nail decals, brushes/combs and occasionally some Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Kudos to the Koreans for locking the market down (something Black folks could do if we could get some UNITY.) In Harlem, there is a bustling business area completely dominated by African Muslims who recently immigrated to the U.S. so successful business by Blacks can be done. And, yes, I do understand the differences between Black Americans and recently immigrated Black Africans--all the complexities and histories, etc. I don't necessarily mind these beauty supply stores but it's just so insulting to me the serious over-abundance of these stores. Like that is all Black people in these neighborhoods boil down too, all they are interested in: artificial hair. We couldn't have a bookstore? How about a nice sit down coffee shop, air conditioned with wi-fi?

Anyway, these are the issues facing mostly-Black communities (and my town is a good mix between America Blacks and Caribbean Blacks). We (all Blacks) have some serious issues to tackle . . . especially when it comes to our hair.

4 comments:

80sBaby70sSoul said...

Unfortunately...the case may be that for every 1 of you there are 25 others who are happy as hell that there's another beauty supply store. Those same 25 might balk at the idea of $2.50 for a cup of coffee. That 25 might barely even have an email address so they may not want wi-fi. But who knows...maybe that's exactly what the businesses that refuse to open in these neighborhoods would have us believe.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

I definitely feel it's what they would have us believe. Even a sit-down pizza restaurant or another fruit and vegetable store to give the one that's there that sells rotten garlic and such competition. There's just no diversity in the businesses that open . . . like we couldn't possibly want anything else.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

And what's more annoying: these stores don't even compete with each other. They don't feel like they have to. A product in one will cost the exact same as the other. The inventory is basically repeated store to store with slight differences. And at least two on the block are owned by the same dude which is funny as hell to me.

Subhashita Manjari said...

Where there is a will, there is a way!

A sanskrit verse says..

उत्साहो बलवानार्य
नास्त्युत्साहात्परं बलम् ।
सोत्साहस्य च लोकेषु
न किञ्चिदपि दुर्लभम् ॥


Enthusiastic person is always powerful. There is nothing stronger than enthusiasm. Nothing in this world is impossible for an enthusiastic person.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.