Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm pretty dark-skinned

But I know I'm not the darkest skinned sister out there. My quest to find a nice foundation has been, to say the least, eye opening.

A few weeks back, I went and got my eyebrows threaded. I absolutely loved the results and it was no more painful ore expensive than waxing. After that, I headed on over to Macy's to visit the MAC counter. I ended up dropping a wad of cash on makeup (well, not that much but to me, it was a lot) and the most expensive item was foundation.

I used the foundation for about three days before I finally admitted that it was just not working. Maybe I should have gotten the oil control stuff too but, my goodness! After just a few hours, my face was so oily you could fry plantains on it. And the stuff rubbed off so easily. I used to wear this foundation a long time ago and I don't remember it being such a pain. Maybe I just had a higher tolerance for that kind of stuff . . . I don't know.

But what I think annoys me most is that the darkest color MAC sells (NW55) is still not quite as dark as me. I had to blend and blend and blend to get the makeup to look natural and even then, it didn't look all that natural.

Thank goodness for a lenient return policy. I was so glad to have that money back in hand.

So last Friday was rainy and my friends and I decided to go to the mall where there's plenty of space for the kids to run. I took the opportunity to go to Sephora so I could try Bare Essentials, which so many folks had recommended to me as a light, non-irritating makeup. I was dumbfounded to find that the darkest foundation they had was about three shades too light for me. And they have the nerve to call it "Deepest Dark".

I did discover the Makeup Forever line. My color is #185 which is the darkest color they sell. I didn't have to do much blending when I put it on and it provided great coverage. But it was about $40.00 so I didn't get it. Also, I understand now from trying so many different brands that another issue is that many of the make-ups do not match my red undertone. So while the #185 blended easily, it wasn't perfect.

But am I missing something? I know there are sisters as dark as I am and darker who wear foundation and such. Where do we go for options? Are there no options? I know these companies aren't necessarily catering to the darker-hued amongst us but it looks like they are making an effort . . .

The hubby, who's not really feeling me wearing makeup anyway, says it's a sign that I shouldn't be wearing makeup. LoL . . . it's almost not even possible for me to wear makeup!

Someone suggested Imani's line but it's not something you can try on before buying as it's only sold in pharmacies. Not to mention that my skin nowadays seems more prone to reacting to things than it used to be. Those few days of MAC foundation were not very kind to my skin. There's also Bobbi Brown, which is just as pricey as Makeup Forever.

I think I may just turn my attention to evening out my skin tone and minimizing the damage from acne but I'm still open to ideas. I want a quick and easy makeup routine that keeps my skin healthy and not too oily and that looks natural and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Is that possible?

5 comments:

DeltaPurl said...

Have you tried Mary Kay?

liberationtheory said...

i used to be on the quest for the perfect foundation that would even out my tone and control shine. so far i havent found it.

what i *have* found is much better. i went to the origins store and have a face cleaning regimen that is so great i dont need foundation. and i'm usually an oil slick, but now, i do double take in the mirror because my skin is visibly even and not oily at all.

(no i'm not an employee of origins).

it took about 6 weeks for me to see the total effect of the cleansers and the best news is that if it doesnt work you can get a full refund. the products tend to be a bit pricey (i spent $100 in total for all 4 pieces) but it's been 5 months and i've only had to restock on one item.

so i would consider the actual skin care regimen before looking for a makeup to hide the blemishes.

just my two cents.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Liberation Theory . . . thanks so much for that recommendation. Origins' stuff looks great--natural and much more pure than other stuff I've seen. It is pricey but from the reviews, it seems to be well worth it. I'm definitely going to be saving up to purchase the products. Honestly, I really don't like wearing make-up AT ALL. Anything past an eyebrow pencil and lip gloss feels like too much. I'd rather work on improving my skin . . . that seems like the way to go for me.

Dee said...

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation. I rarely wear a cover up, and when I do, it's usually a tinted moisturizer. Good luck finding something. BTW, I hate my eyebrows threaded once and hated it!

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

No, Dee, i wasn't thrilled with the threading either. I think I'll stick with waxing.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.