Monday, November 16, 2009

Working out at night

Is something I completely hate.

I think it's been enough of a trial period.  Over a month now.  I've tried to enjoy the advantages like not worrying that Z2 will get up but honestly, it is so difficult to get up after a long day.  I usually fall asleep with the boys and have to pry myself up to go do my workout.  Then I'm so wired after working out and taking a shower that it takes me forever to get back to sleep.  As a result of it since it taking forever to get to sleep the previous night, I don't get a quiet moment to meditate/journal/chant in the morning because I'm plastered to the bed.  Working out at night relieves the stress of Z2 waking up and disrupting my workout but it adds the stress of thinking about it all day and trying hard to stay up when I know I am mentally and physically exhausted and the (too frequent) disappointment of not being able to get up and therefore missing my workout.  I try to think of how great it is that I can save a couple of minutes in the morning because I shower at night but truth be told, I still feel the need to shower in the morning.  I try to think of how great it is that I can hang out a little bit with the hubby on days when he's off or even when he gets back from work.  It is great . . . well, that's really the thing I'll miss most by going back to morning workouts.  Maybe I could work out at night on days that we might hang out?

Last night, I fell asleep in my clothes and couldn't rouse myself until about 12:30AM. So I went back to sleep with the intention of getting up early.  This morning, I got out of bed at 6:15AM (not that early--I could certainly have gotten up earlier if I had kicked myself in the pants).  Since for the past two days Z2 slept until 7, I figured I could get some exercise in.  The boy got up at 6:30 like he just knew what I was up to.  But I don't think I have much of a choice now.  I'm going to get ready for bed with the boys and go back to waking at 4:45/5:00 to get my workouts in--even if I have to stop before I'm not quite finished.  I am so much more of a morning person.  I just function better in the wee hours of the morning.

Z2 is getting older and I think in the next few months, I'll be able to workout even if he is awake.  Right now if he's awake, he wants all my attention and wants to be up under me.  Z1 "gets" that I'm busy and will amuse himself in some other way or try to join me in exercising (which is a riot, I tell you).  Z2 is getting there so I just have to grit my teeth and get through this challenging time knowing it will turn around soon.

Photo Credit:  "Winter Morning" by withrow on Flickr.com

4 comments:

Wildflower said...

What exactly do you do to work out? This is an area I need to improve on.

The Original Wombman said...

Hey Wildflower,

I do cardio 4x's a week, strength training 3x's a week (lifting free weights, working my legs and core) and yoga 3x's a week for flexibility, strength and centering/recuperation. I only started working out consistently at the beginning of this year and I'm so please with the progress I've made. I've been using DVDs (which I've reviewed on the blog if you search fitness--most of which I was able to preview by borrowing from the library first and then was able to buy on Ebay or Amazon used for $10 or less) and recently, the hubby got Netflix and there's a couple of good titles I can view instantly over the computer. Also, I took up hula hooping which is fun and a great core workout. I figure in addition to having a good amount of money stored, I'd also like to have endurance and strength. So that's a good motivation to keep working out--even if it's only at home.

Wildflower said...

thx! I'll start with babysteps.

puregoldlady said...

I am sooo not a morning person but there is one thing I will rise to do: run. Nothing like running just as the sun is coming up and life starts to bustle.

These days, I do work out in the evening. I hear ya on the stress of having that as a "to-do" in the back of your mind all day.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.