Wednesday, December 2, 2009

They've taken me as far as they can . . .

Yeah, it's true:  I've plateaued when it comes to my workout DVDs.  I currently have only one that really challenges me (Women's Health Train for Your Body Type) and even at that, the cardio is too short (only 22 minutes).  This is quite exciting to me because it means that I am in much better shape than I was when I started consistently working out in January.  It's not so exciting because now I have to think of what to do next.

I'm determined to get into the best shape of my life which means I need more intense cardio exercise for longer periods of time.  I've thought about the gym but I personally can't stand to be on a treadmill or an elliptical for more than 20-25 minutes although I know I should be pushing cardio to almost an hour.  It would be great to take classes but the gyms I can afford don't offer that many options.  And to be honest I enjoy working out at home.  [When I strike it rich, my home will have an exercise room (and a crafting room).]

So I'm back to looking at DVDs again . . . but I know they will have to be very different from what I'm doing now.  With the ones I have now, half the time, I don't even break a sweat!  The hubby says it's really up to me to push up the intensity of the DVDs I currently have--to use them only as a rough guide because really only I know my body.  But at the same time, I want a real guide and if I had it, I know I would have already hired a personal trainer.  I don't want to think too too hard because I really have a lot of other things I'm thinking about.  I just want an effective workout already laid out for me.  I want to get in there, work hard,  sweat a lot, and lose the weight.

I've heard about P90X, Chaelean Extreme, and TurboJam and all the other Beachbody products but I just don't know!  I thought about the TransFirmer System too . . . something different from what I'm doing now (since it uses a step) but previewing the workouts, I don't think they are anywhere near as intense as I need--especially since some are only about 30 minutes long.

My sister says there's only so much you can do with DVDs at home.  I wonder if she's right.  Will getting in the best shape of my life require a gym membership?

I am actually thinking about hitting the pavement and running.  I've always wanted to be able to run miles.  But I kind of know my body is not built for it . . . it's really difficult for me to run for long distance.  But maybe I can train myself?  And it's winter . . . will I really be down for running in winter?  I know once you start you warm up but brrrrrrrrr . . .

Have you any experience with any of the Beachbody products?  Care to share?

5 comments:

Bientôt Maman said...

Hi Chi Chi,

As you already know, I have completed the Chalean Extreme program and I am currently in week 10 of 13 of the P90X program. I think you would really enjoy either one! P90X may be a little too intense to begin with but I think you should check out Power 90 Masters. That may be the appropriate level for you. Besides that, i disagree with your sister about working out at home. There are SO many people who have successfully lost weight and reshaped their bodies by exclusively working out at home. Some people feel more motivated at the gym because other people are around so they push themselves harder. Me, on the other hand, I work out just as hard at home as I do at my YMCA. I do P90X at home and I also do 4 sessions of cardio for a little over an hour. I think you could totally run/walk outside for your cardio, maybe doing intervals to build up your endurance. I began running again at the end of July after a year and a half hiatus. And so far I have done two 5k races, am doing a 4 miler on December 12th and I plan on running a half marathon in the spring! Anyway, I totally support you in your fitness endeavors so let me know if you have any questions about anything. As of today, I am 20 pounds down since June and officially below pre-pregnancy weight! And my whole journey to get back in shape this year began with Chalean Extreme and working out at home. I know you can do it! :)

Kara
P.S. I rejoined Weight Watchers about 3 weeks ago and I am doing their online program. It's SO worth the money!

Smokie said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Girl, just run. Just hit the pavement like you said. It's free and it'll get the job DONE!

puregoldlady said...

Ditto what they said - hit the pavement!

Congrats on reaching "in shape!"

I have done the gym thing and am currently doing it now only for Zumba classes and swimming (although the Y has open swim there are more hours for members).

The indoor track is nice considering my work hours are crazy and I don't get up too early to run with light before work.

You can up the intensity of your home workouts and throw in new things like short very high intensity (10-15 min) workouts that will leave you panting and wondering why you ever thought doing butt kicks and knee raises for 30-1min at a time was a peace of cake!

The Original Wombman said...

Hi Kara! Wow, I am so happy to hear that you are now *below* your pre-pregnancy weight. You are working hard girl! So do you do P90X every day on top of the 4x's a week cardio?

You know, I keep thinking about it and weighing everything in terms of money and time and I think I may join my local, low cost gym (no classes) and do the Chalean Extreme then move on to P90X. At least, that what seems to make the most sense to me now. Either the gym or running outside but since I'm not totally comfortable working outside in my neighborhood but I guess I could drive.

Oh, and weight watchers is a definite.

Smokie, I hear that! Definitely.

Pure Gold Lady, it is great getting to a level of fitness but I know I have lots more to go! I know inside that I can do this workout thing without breaking the bank! And while having fun and reaching my goals.

Bientôt Maman said...

"So do you do P90X every day on top of the 4x's a week cardio?"

I do P90X 5 times a week on top of the 4x's a week cardio. The P90X program is technically 6 days a week but I just couldn't get into the YogaX workout! 90 minutes of intense yoga with half of the time being vinyasa/flow! I am going to "try" to get into the yoga workout once I begin my second round of P90X Jan 4th. I'll be done with this round in 3 weeks. In regards to running outside, i am also not comfortable running in my neighborhood so once I start training for the half marathon, I will be going to the park.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.