Saturday, June 5, 2010

What do you want your life to look like?

While having a conversation with my good friend the other day, I realized that I didn't have a solid, clear concept of what I want my life to look like (let's call it my Lifeview).  I have ideas of what I'd like to see going on in my life but I've never taken the time to write anything down or really think about it in depth.  And it's funny because it seems fairly obvious that this is something I should have done.  But honestly, after I gave up my childhood idea of going to an Ivy League school, becoming a doctor (after graduating at the top of my class), getting married to someone equally as successful, buying a large house in the 'burbs, driving my Volvo, and having four kids (two boys and two girls).  My priorities and worldview have changed so drastically since then but I never amended my Lifeview.  Well, now is an excellent time to do it.  I'm 28, a stay-at-home mom with two young children, and an aspiring writer.  Sometimes it feels like I'm just going through the motions instead of working toward a tangible goal.  In terms of my personal happiness, even though I'm still not ready to start my own happiness project, I think outlining my Lifeview would be a big step towards maintaining and expanding my happiness.  I could identify small steps I could take to make my Lifeview my actual life.  My same friend who I was talking to had a beautiful outline that she drew up some time ago and I thought vaguely that I should do something like that.  Now I know I need to be a little more disciplined and get it done. Often when I feel discontented, I get the sense that it's because my real life is not matching up to the life I want.  So I need to get it really clear in my mind:  what is the life I want?  I know that one's Lifeview is something that evolves and changes over time and it should as one matures and develops.  If nothing else, capturing my current Lifeview in some way, shape or form could serve as a concrete way of tracking my personal growth. 

Photo Credit: http://windowsofhopecounseling.org/

4 comments:

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

This is an incredibly though provoking post. My life in no way resembles the life I thought I would have. There are things I'm working to change, to improve upon. There are things I've had to let go of and grieve for. Great food for thought.
Also...tell me about the PX90 thing. Is it awesome. I read you're down to a size 6. Woo Hoo. What an inspiration you are.

Des said...

I liked your blog a lot. I have a bit of a different issue. I know exactly what I want from life. What I want to do and how I want my life to be I just don't know how to get there.
And I want to do many many different things.
Good luck to you and I hope you get a an acceptable life outline :)

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

All I can think to say is that raising small children requires a great deal of energy and sacrifice, and putting other dreams on hold.

At least you've got two. Some women have none and still aren't living the life they dreamed. I know several, and their discontent is a visible longing when they talk.

Well, I hope that makes you feel better...

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.