Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mock Tuna Salad--a Quick, Easy and Filling Lunch

I think most vegetarians at some point get around to making a mock tuna salad.  There are lots of recipes floating around on the web.  I'm not really a fan of eating chickpeas whole (unless they've are part of a very flavorful stew and have taken on some of the spices) so I avoid recipes where the chickpeas are not pureed. My favorite recipe by far is this one.    I add one extra tablespoon of relish, a rounded teaspoon each of black pepper and sea salt to the basic recipe.  Each serving is 6 Weight Watchers points but it wasn't keeping me full until the next meal.  By the time it was time for dinner, I was really, really hungry.  So to try to combat this I started to add 
  • half a large red pepper, chopped
  • half a large green pepper, chopped
  • two stalks of celery, diced
  • 1/4 cup of chopped onions
  • two small carrots, chopped
Paired with a whole wheat mini-pita, this recipe is quite filling and feels like I am eating a real meal instead of a snack.   As an added bonus, this recipe is very quick to make in the food processor (aside from chopping the vegetables).  I used to make my own vegan mayonnaise but . . . I just need a little bit of a shortcut these days. 

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.