Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Personal Milestones in Yoga

When I was brand new to yoga, I was surprised that there were  more advanced poses that I could easily get into like half lotus pose (as opposed to simple cross-legged pose or sukhasana) or upward plank pose. I realized that people come to yoga at a wide array of starting points.  Me personally, I couldn't touch my toes in standing forward bend.  I couldn't touch my head to the floor in child's pose.  Certain poses like crane pose, chaturanga dandasana, and side plank pose were like a big joke . . . I couldn't even begin to get into those poses. 
While I still find these last three challenging, now that I've been practicing over a year, I am so pleased that I can get into the poses and stay there long enough to explore my breath and explore what's going on in my body.  I can stay there long enough to make adjustments and experience the benefits of these poses.  

But what has me straight tickled pink these days is that finally, I can get into upward wheel pose.  It seems like up until a month ago, I absolutely had to modify this pose.  I simply did not have the strength to get into the position and if I did get into it with help, I couldn't stay there for very long at all.  I had been modifying with bridge pose which is still a very lovely pose that my body likes and which I will still keep on doing depending on what my body says.

It's nice to mark the milestones in yoga.  Even nicer to note how many more there will be. 

3 comments:

navelgazingbajan said...

I remember the absolute glee I felt when I found I was able to get into upward wheel pose. Even as a child that pose was difficult for me.

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

I've been practicing about a year and I am amazed and humbled by what I can and can't do.

anjplanetyoga said...

Side Plank pose is one of my favorites. It’s great for the obliques. I found Leeann Carey has a great free yoga video that breaks it down. I thought your readers might want to check it out: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/index.php/free-yoga-video-side-plank-pose/

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.