Sunday, August 29, 2010

For a number of reasons,

I do not subscribe to fitness magazines geared toward women.  I'll borrow them from the library but I absolutely refuse to spend my money on them.  First off, they give the same advice month after month:  
Get a flat belly!
Try the sure-fire workout!
Eat this and never gain an ounce again!

They always ignore women of color. To them, we simply don't exist.  

But this month's issue of Fitness, I did purchase for my flight back from California.  I figured I needed something light to read and I thought this magazine would fit the bill.  But it raised so many issues that it was hardly a light read!

Here's a question and answer:
I'm African-American. [I felt encouraged when I read that--maybe they're paying us some mind!] What's the best way to wear my hair when I workout?
A study from Wake Forest Univesity in Winston-Salem, North Carolina found that 31 percent of AA women polled said they exercise less than they should because of hair-care worries.  Before you ditch the dumbbells, try this routine from stylist Kim Kimble.

Step 1 Pull or brush your hair back into a low ponytail
Step 2 Twist the tail up into a bun and loosely fasten with bobby pins
Step 3 Wrap a cotton scarf around your hair line to absorb sweat

Awesome advice, right? Unless, of course, you have a weave or wear your natural hair. (locks or loose)  Ain't no brushing or pulling going on with my super tightly coiled hair without it being wet.  And a cotton scarf?  Really?  No thank you.  Cotton absorbs oil from the hair and that's the last thing my hair needs.  So who is this stylist they found?  And what an insult to throw this little 2 cents of beauty advice to Black women while touting the report that we exercise less due to our hair. That's just us crazy Black women . . . messing up our hair is more important than our health. ((((Huge eye roll))))  Why not take the time to explore this issue further?  Give it the time and attention it deserves?  I may actually write in on this one because they just can't be serious.

But this was MINOR compared to the blurb they did about Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliff, Olympic distance runners. Radcliffe says: "Labor's harder than a marathon.  When I run, my body works with me.  But when I had my first baby, my body worked against me--for 27 hours."  

Sounds cute right?  Except this is the nonsense that has women scared to death about giving birth.  Running a marathon is not something the body does naturally.  You have to train hard for weeks to do it.  Some would even argue that running in and of itself is not an activity the body is designed to do (walking long distances, yes, running, no).  When you are running, you are essentially working agains twhat your body would like to be doing.  Birth on the other hand?  Womens' bodies are designed to carry and bring forth life.  Nine times out of ten, if the birth process is left alone, it will proceed normally.  I'll agree:  labor is hard work.  Some women find it harder than others.  There are complications sometimes.  But if all women were to realize how to work with their bodies (and not feel that they are working against their body) and given the right tools and mindsets to handle labor, I think many would find that it would proceed as smoothly as the best of marathon runs.  Another point I could write about to this magazine. I just feel this was hugely irresponsible. 

So, I'm pretty sure I won't be subscribing to Fitness anytime soon.  I actually really just prefer fitness magazines geared towards men.  I can figure out how to modify most things.  Do you subscribe to any magazines about fitness that pertain to women?  Can you recommend one that won't drive me batty with hair care and beauty tips (for White women only) and useless advice? 

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Ugh no. I'm like you, it's like reading the same magazine month after month. Their advice tends to be ... not so helpful. :-P

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.