Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sushi making!

The first time I tried sushi was maybe a year ago.  I don't know . . . I'm picky and it didn't seem like something I would like.  But at my sister's encouragement, I gave it a try and it turns out, I just love sushi.  Now granted, I've only been brave enough to try vegetable sushi rolls but maybe one day I will branch out.  Right now, the vegetable ones are all I need.

Some local markets around here have sushi chefs who make fresh sushi (with brown rice) daily.  It's really delicious but at $7 a tray (8 rolls), it's kind of expensive.  In Chinatown, all the way downtown, you can get really, really good freshly made sushi for $3 a tray (6 rolls) but they use white rice exclusively.  Since it's not something we have often, I do get it if we're down there but it's way too far to go for regularly.  

So, I thought I'd give it a try at home.  Trying to do it freeform was kind of a disaster so I purchased the Sushezi.  I've only used it once but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped.  I didn't realize I had to do something to the rice (aside from boil it) and I certainly didn't get the hang of rolling them on the first try.  They tasted all right . . . the fact of the matter is we like nori, we like carrots, we like cucumbers and we like rice all on their own merits.  However which way they come together, we'll probably like the combination.  


Anyway, I'll probably give it another shot this coming Saturday.  I'm going to use this recipe and let you know how it turns out.  

3 comments:

navelgazingbajan said...

I love sushi! I've never made it myself but I've seen it made. I hope you'll post the results when you try the new recipe.

Jennie said...

Mmmm sushi.

Don't be afraid of the fish sushi. It's Gooooood.
It doesn't taste like fish. It also doesn't smell like fish.

It's my favorite thing to eat if I know I'm going to be dancing all night. Nice and light, doesn't weigh me down, good protein, bit of carbs. Mmmm. Perfect.

Take the plunge! :-D

Ensayn1 said...

I love sushi as well. I never thought about making it at home. Like Jennie said the fish is not fishy, nor does it smell fishy. Yet, you don't want to engage in eating raw fish often, to avoid parasites.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.