Tuesday, July 12, 2011

When I moved into my current house (the house my husband grew up in until he was about 5 and then moved back into when he was 21).  I inherited a magnificent Magic Chef oven very similar to this one:
It was manufactured in 1958.  This stove was serious.  It was heavy.  The burners were pure cast iron--heavy.  It wouldn't light without matches (or some other kind of lighter).   It was seriously dusty in some areas like the broiler and the little side storage unit (that still had some of the hubby's grandmother's stuff in there).  The clock on the top didn't work.  The oven door was a trick door and wouldn't close all the way.  But I loved that stove.  A lot.  It was old school.  Strong.  And still working (somewhat) all these years later with minimal upkeep.  

The hubby found a used appliance place a few months ago and the place has economically furnished us with lots of reliable appliances to replace the ones we've had for years that have been partially working.  We got a Hotpoint stove very similar to this one:

It's not new new but it's new to me.  So far I'm pleased with it.  Maybe because after my Magic Chef, I didn't have anywhere to go but up.  I still pull out my lighter every time I want to cook.  And I need to look at the diagrams on the stove to know which burner knob belongs to each burner.  But I'm getting used to it.  

I find it so interesting the differences in how a 1950s stove and 1990s stove were produced.  The burners are so much lighter than my Magic Chef!  Still, I really like this new stove and I can't wait to use the broiler.

My kitchen feels so new.  The hubby replaced the floor tiles (peel and stick tiles have come some far) and a "new" kitchen table courtesy of the thrifts store.  I spend so much time in the kitchen.  It's nice to look around and see some beauty.  

On another note, I have been moving slowly to a paleo diet.  I read Mark's Daily Apple and I have read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and this way of life/eating really seems to work for many and I suspect it will work for me.  Currently, I don't eat any beans, legumes, rice or wheat.  I still eat millet and oats though and every so often I indulge in Trader Joe's Gluten-free Ginger Snaps, Trader Joe's Salsa Chips and I love, love, love popcorn and really enjoy my plain Greek yogurt (with a touch of honey, strawberries, blueberries and a tablespoon of the hubby's Hemp Plus granola).  Still, having eliminated the things I have eliminated, I feel really good--better than I have felt in years.  And it shows with my skin which had turned dull and dry but is not supple and moisturized.  But Z2 has been really suffering with stomach  issues and it's making me think that he needs a change in diet too.  He loves breads and stuff but is not really into beans/legumes anyway.  So I bought the book Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso and I'm really impressed.  I can't wait to try out some of the recipes.  It's going to be difficult doing paleo.  The hubby is a strict vegetarian and Z1 really doesn't like the idea of eating animals.  But if I can get Z2 and I to at least 85% paleo, I will be happy.  I just want to see what difference it can make for us.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Concept to Help Dieters Lose 23 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

Blogger said...

Are You Having Trouble STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

Do you want to munch on some delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

Get your amazing Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.