Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Need something different for fitness!

This past Monday (Labor Day), I ran my first 10K Race.  It was the Labor Day Marathon and it was very laid back.  The trail was in Van Cortlandt park and was very challenging in some places.  There were a good number of hills and some gnarly areas where you literally had to walk very slowly or risk serious injury.  I had a good time.  I'd even say it was fun.  And opportunities to do fun stuff lately has been few so it was really good for my morale.  The 10K really drove home the point that I do not like to run for long distances:  the 6+ miles was perfect and the race came to an end just when I thought it should.  So now I'm really not feeling any more excited about the upcoming 1/2 marathon.  I'm totally undecided about whether I'm actually going to run it or not.  I guess I'll know closer to the day.  Right now, though, I'm pretty sure that if I do run it, I will probably run 10 miles of the race and maybe walk the rest.  I am definitely, definitely not a long-distance runner.   

And the more I think about it, the less excited I am about any form of exercise, including lifting, despite having a ton of options for my next lifting program from which to choose.  I may be suffering from burnout.  Over these last few weeks, I've been following my 1/2 training program to a tee.  Cross-training on non-running days (doing intervals on the exercise bike or floor aerobics in addition to strength-training) which means that I really haven't had any real time to recuperate.  And if my left eye, which has been twitching for the last few weeks, and this suspicious pain in my left shoulder, is any indication, I need some serious down time. 

According to my training plan, I was supposed to do a 45-minute easy run today.  But I was up late last night and it's cold and damp outside.  These are usually not good enough excuses to not push myself but I'm giving myself an out.  I'm just not in the mood and I want to get excited about fitness again . . . I want it to be fun again.  Not drudgery.  

I've pretty much decided to give CrossFit a try--I need something different.  There are three CrossFit gyms within 30 minutes of me.  One of them doesn't have any 6:00 AM classes. One has a CrossFit Elements class, basically an intro to CrossFit: 4 private sessions for $160. And then this one, which has reasonable prices, early class times and got some good review on Google.  

3 comments:

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

Congrats

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
navelgazingbajan said...

Congrats on completing the 10K! I go through cycles of being totally into an activity and then that excitement wanes as I become interested in something. However, I know that eventually the excitement will return on its own.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.