Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Some Simple Cooking, Some Simple Crochet

Turkey meatballs (I don't roll them in the topping), spaghetti squash and steamed kale.

To make spaghetti squash (I only make one half at a time if it's a larger squash)

  1. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
  2. Cut the squash in half and remove seeds
  3. Rub the half all over with olive oil.
  4. Sprinkle inside with salt and pepper.  
  5. Place face down in a baking pan.
  6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until you can easily stick a fork into it.
  7. Let cool.  Scrape out flesh.  
I like it simple like that.  Some recipes add cheese and dress it up in all kinds of ways.  I think it's overkill.  Olive oil, salt, pepper.  Simple and delicious.  

To make the kale, I whip out my trust steamer.  I steam it then toss it in either olive oil (if the hubby's eating too) of butter with some sea salt.  Simple and delicious, again. 

This dinner is the kind of dinner my kids really like.  The flavors are all distinct.  

My first attempt at making jerky.  There were tons of recipes available but true to my mantra of "simple and delicious," I went with this one from paleoblocks.  I added just a touch of maple syrup and liquid smoke seasoning (really, just a touch).  I followed the directions and dehydrated for 8 hours in my food dehydrator (which I got from my wonderful sister-in-law years ago).  They came out very, very well.  I think next time, I won't dehydrate quite as long--they are really tough but it's all good.  Since they are some much work to chew, it keeps you from eating the whole bag.   The process for making the jerky was easy and I got a yield of about 4 or 5, almost $6 bags of organic jerky for Trader Joe's.  The meat cost about that (~$20) and I am able to control what goes in it (namely no soy sauce and not a lot of sugar).  



And here is my latest crochet creation: a simple camera case for our new digital camera, an Olympus X-935 (which I love because of it's simplicity).  

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.