Monday, October 25, 2010

Running in the Winter

The time is coming when running outside will not be a matter of simply putting on my sneakers, grabbing my I-pod and heading out the door.  Winter is coming!  Already I have to warm up for 5-10 minutes indoors before I go out for my runs and it's only about 50 degrees in the early morning.   I can see my breath and after about 30 minutes, if I don't have on gloves, I can't feel my fingers.  I've been thinking about what I'm going to do when the temperatures really plummet.  Essentially there are three options:
  1. Invest in some cold weather running gear.   I read this article.  I already have layer one and layer two.  I need to work on layer three which is basically a windbreaker jacket (I can use the hubby's) and windbreaker pants which I'm pretty sure I can get at the thrift store.  I would need some kind of hat (I just wear a regular cotton hat right now which is not too bad), gloves (I wear my fleece gloves lined with Thinsulate which get a little too hot and sweaty), a baklava, and a good pair of socks.  Also, some reflective bands or something since when I go out, it's still quite dark.  So not too, too much of an investment.
  2. Join the local gym for the duration of the winter so I can make use of the treadmill.  I am pretty sure I will not enjoy treadmill running. I like, you know, going somewhere when I run.  But another advantage of joining the gym would be that I could potentially take classes and make use of the weight machines since I would like to start the The New Rules of Lifting for Women this winter. Another advantage is that as long as I could make it to the gym, I could run.  If I'm counting on running outside, snow, sleet and ice could make it impossible. 
  3. Stop running for the winter and invest in some more DVDs.  I really don't want to stop running.  Actually, I can't realistically imagine not running for the entire winter.
So it's really between 1 and 2 and I'm happy I have a little more time to decide.
Meanwhile, I've just completed another round of the Push Circuit in the Chalean Extreme program.  I'm not quite sure where to go next but I think I'm going to mix it up a little.  My goal is:
  • to lift heavy (to build strength) two times a week (I might repeat the Lean Circuit in CE), 
  • to lift lighter weight (to build endurance doing more like in Jari Love's programs or in Jillian Michael's strength program) or use body weight (like these Body Rock workouts) once a week and 
  • to continue with 3+ hours of cardio worked in there somehow.  Currently, 1:30 of my cardio during the week is running so it's a big portion and I am loathe to give it up even for a couple of months!
How do your workouts change in the winter months?

Photo Credit

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.