I wanted to get my fingers busy working on a project. Something simple and easy that wouldn't take too much thought or attention. It needed to be something that I could make with some of my stash yarn because recently I've spent a lot of money (mainly on cold-weather running gear). I decided on this hat (Ravelry link). I have some bulky acrylic yarn someone gave me ages ago. It's a pretty color (green is my favorite) but it feels like . . . acrylic. Anyway, I figured I might as well use it up and maybe give it to a charity or something for this holiday season.
I happily cast on and was knitting away on my cheapie bamboo circular needles. The stitches were hard to move because of the friction created by the cheap yarn and the cheap needles. So . . . I decided to switch to double points. At that point I realized the hat was incredibly HUGE. I don't know what I did wrong! I cast on the right number of stitches using the right needles . . . there's no gauge listed in the pattern so I guess it serves me right!
The hubby joked that I could use it as a neckwarmer/scarf and I seriously considered it. The picture just really doesn't show how ginormous this thing is! Nonetheless, I would have just continued on knitting but the pattern with it's 1 stitch cabling was just too fussy to keep going long enough to make a neckawarmer. So I just cut my yarn and decided to start this pattern today--an actual scarf/cowl. No big deal.
I'm going to make another scarf (which are really good stash-busting projects). I'm going to make this scarf which I saw someone wearing the other day and I thought was cute.
Anyway, here's a blanket I finished crocheting. I just used stash yarn (Caron Simply Solft) and this pattern. I love the pattern and I think the results are pretty. My only complaint is that it doesn't lay completely flat. But the only time you need a blanket to lay completely flat is for a picture. :p