Monday, November 14, 2011

Paleo Porridge

My kids really like porridge.  They still eat millet porridge three mornings a week (along with turkey bacon and usually a fruit).  Z1 likes eggs and on non-millet days will happily gobble them up (as long as they are prepared plainly, i.e. just a little salt and pepper and cooked in coconut oil).  Z2 will not even entertain the idea of eggs--no preparation style tickles his fancy.  So I've tried many different foods at breakfast and he seems to only be interested in waffles (and I haven't tried paleo waffles so it's the gluten-free oat ones he eats) and millet.  Well, I'm trying to move Z1 and Z2 further along the paleo track and so with some experimentation, I've come up with a pretty good paleo porridge.

Paleo (almond) Porridge
1/2 cup properly soaked almonds (or almond meal)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
coconut milk

Add all ingredients except the coconut milk to a blender and blend well.  Transfer to a pot and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat till thickened.  Pour into bowls.  Add milk.  Stir.

This makes 2 servings and the kids really like it.

I'd like to try the same recipe with some macadamia nuts or walnuts as they have a better Omega 3:6 ratio but almonds are my kids favorite nut so I figured I'd start there.

Interestingly enough, while looking for a nice picture or porridge, I came across one from Elana's Pantry (one of my favorite favorite blogs).  The recipe is for Gluten-free, Grain-free Porridge and I think might give this one a try for the kids too.


1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.