Tuesday, August 20, 2013

More reading please!

With Z3 being in my arms so much of the time, I literally have my hands full.  Not much crocheting or knitting has been going on.  And as annoying as that is, there is one huge benefit:  I have been able to do much more reading.  You only need one hand to read and sometimes if a book will lie flat, you can read hands free.  And there is no yarn to get tangled in small fingers or hooks to be snatched out of my hand and waved around furiously, triumphantly, and dangerously.  

Check me out on GoodReads where I keep track of the books I've been reading.  There have been some amazing books (like Chimamanda Adichie's Americanah and In Dependence by Sarah Ladipo Manyika) and there have been some serious disappointments (like Bernard Malamud's The Magic Barrel and David Sedaris' Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls).  But I am really enjoying this uptick in my reading and savoring the good, the bad and the ugly.  I have been taking my selections of books to read from many different types of genres and types of authors.  There's been some good non-fiction in there but also some wild science fiction and fascinating memoirs.  I've gotten around to some authors that I've always wanted to read but never did till now (such as Flora Nwapa).

Currently, I am reading two books in earnest:  Hold on to Your Kids and Happiness Like Water. Sometimes it can be difficult to read two books at the same time but these ones work well together.  I read a chapter or two from the former and then one short story from the latter before turning in at night. I can often squeeze in a chapter from Hold on to Your Kids during the day which is great because it's a bigger book  than Happiness.  I have put quite a few books on the back burner though and I am not sure if I will get back to them.  One is The Friday Night Knitting Club (rather trite and boring) and the other is Brick by Brick: How Lego Rewrote the Rules of Innovation (this was only a 2 week loan from the library and I couldn't renew it so I only got about halfway and I am not sure if I will be able to finish it now that I have it again for two weeks . . . it's interesting but not so interesting that I would set aside the two books in which I'm really engaged).  If you check out GoodReads, you will find others that are on hold indefinitely.

I am pretty sure I won't be able to post in-depth book reviews as I once did on this blog, but if a book really moves me, I am sure to review it on GoodReads.  I will link my review here.

I'm always looking for amazing books to read.  Or just interesting/off the beaten path books.  If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments.  Thanks!

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.