Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pizza Night

Nothing thrills Z1 more than PIZZA. He absolutely loves it. A few weeks ago, I read somewhere that Papa John's pizza crust and sauce is vegan so basically you can get a vegan pizza from Papa John's if you omit the cheese. Well, they probably thought I made a mistake when I asked for a pizza with every vegetable they had but without cheese or any other kind of animal product on it. So the first pie I got had cheese on it. They let me have that one for free and I gave it to my niece and nephews. Our vegan pizza was tiny and cost about $10--way too much. Z1 loved it although me and the hubby agreed that it was lackluster. (In fact, my niece and nephews weren't impressed either). So I decided to make a go of making my own pizza. Now, I had tried my hand at it before with less than stellar results: the crust was still raw and the pizza sauce was undercooked. But I'd learned from my mistakes, purchased a pizza stone and got to work. I made a delicious pasta sauce, sauteed some onions and green and red peppers, lightly steamed some broccoli, sliced some green olives, and made vegan sausage crumbles. I made the pizza dough (very simple now that I've been making my own bread for some months now) and added a tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the dough. I baked it lightly by itself on the pizza stone just to ensure that it was fully cooked and then piled the sauce and other toppings on top. Delicioso!

Fresh out of the oven:
Fifteen minutes later:

I also made some pumpkin bread. I cut down on the sugar and it was plenty sweet. It was a bit crumbly so I will definitely add an egg replacer next time. All in all, it was quite tasty and a great way to finish!

2 comments:

Lionesse said...

Sounds quite tasty!

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Chi-Chi,

That pizza looks yum-yum!!!

(smiles)
Lisa

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.