Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When Rain Clouds Gather

by Bessie Head. I bought this book sometime when I was in college for a class. I haven't the faintest remembrance of what class it was I bought it for but I finally took it off my bookshelf and read it. I am definitely big on African authors especially women. Amazon has some good reviews so I won't waste space giving details here (ignore the negative ones because they are really completely off base). But I will say this: it was a good read. A bit rambly at times but overall, just an enjoyable, not-too-long novel. I really loved the way it ended. Tragedy, yes, but love and healing prevails. I also really appreciate that Ms. Head showed that the oppression of Black people sometimes (and quite often) is perpetrated by other Black people.

Find the link to the text here if you don't mind reading the whole thing online.

I've borrowed The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy from the library. It's not an express loan so I'm going to see if I can get through it.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.