Sunday, September 28, 2008

A couple of things

Both the boys are asleep. At the same time. So I figured I'd take the opportunity to post a few things.

1. I cut my locks off. Right now, I think I look like a guy. DH hates short hair on women. And I can't seem to grow mine. If I had it, I'd go get some kinky twists or something. But I don't. And DH hates fake hair anyway. More later on how I feel about the whole thing.

2. I figured out how I'm going to cut my grocery spending. I've set a price limit of $480 per month. That means $120 a week. I will buy all fruits/veggies on one set day and all other groceries on one set day. I will limit my fruit/veggie purchasing to the 'hood (walking distance, i.e. no gas). All spending on organic food is on hiatus. I'll be on the lookout for the odd locally grown fruit/veggie. Whole Foods once a month for eggs (2-3 dozen) and other specialty items not found elsewhere. This trip will be combined with Zion's structured playgroup in the same town (no special trip to Whole Foods). I am giving myself $30 wiggle room. The last few month's overspending on groceries, the Vitamix and medical expenses totaled well over $1000. Not good at all. The next few months are going to be lean so that we can recover.

3. In reading a blog I began following called Muslim Bushido (excellent blog, by the way), I came across The Survival Podcast, an excellent resource for those of us serious about preparing for economic collapse.

4. I am considering getting a gun license and purchasing a gun (again). In the event of economic collapse, I would like to be able to protect myself. I've already been robbed once in my house and once out of my car and there was no economic hardship. I can only imagine what my so called fellow townspeople would do if there was an economic emergency. With two small babies, I'm scared about it. Also, I don' t know how to use one. I have to look into how much lessons would cost.

5. I'm looking and learning (in the very preliminary stages) about stockpiling: whole grains, dried beans. Equipment: canning supplies, hand powered grain mill, etc. I'm trying to be balanced and leveled.

6. We turned over the ground for our vegetable garden. I am going to find some containers around here for growing tomatoes (which grow easily in containers) and use the plot for other crops.

7. I have no shirts/blouses for the fall. They are all either too big (I was pregnant last fall) or too small (I wasn't this size the previous fall) or just really jacked up (I wear clothes till they literally fall apart). Here's to hoping that a trip to a shopping area in another 'hood will perhaps yield a score of 3-4 shirts that fell off the truck (i.e. name brand shirts being sold for bargain basement prices). 3-4 shirts with my 4-5 skirts = a decent fall wardrobe, I suppose. If I worked outside the home, that would be different.

Well, that's all that's what's on my mind.

2 comments:

blackgirlinmaine said...

Sounds like great minds think a like. I was just sitting down looking at our budget today and thinking of how to reduce my spending. I am a bit of a foodie but the twice weekly visits to the farmers market isn't cheap because I always buy cool extra stuff. However I was just thinking of items like potatoes that I can stockpile. As meat eaters I am also thinking of stocking up my deep freezer, times is getting tough. Gotta be prepared. (smile)

As for your hair, I doubt you look like a boy but I remember all too well when I dig the big cut years ago and dh about cried when he saw my head. It will pass and you will both adjust, best thing is a low natural is easy to maintain especially when you have kids which is why I keep flirting with cutting my own locs off.

Not sure what size you are but I have some 10-14's (even a few 8's) that if you are interested in, email me and I would be happy to ship em to you. My own clothes are pretty non-existent because I reached my final weight goal this spring so I have no clothes in my size. I am having no luck at the local secondhand stores so I know how you feel.

80sBaby70sSoul said...

In my own hair product trials I ran across this company

https://www.qhemetbiologics.com/oilsandpomades.html

check out the tea tree and grapeseed therapeutic pomade. Maybe it will help.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.