Monday, November 3, 2008

Peanut Porridge

We eat peanut porridge every morning without fail, i.e. the hubby and I. Z1 will have no parts of anything having to do with peanuts or any other nut for that matter. He has millet for breakfast every morning. Anyway, we really dig our peanut porridge.

The hubby was the one who introduced me to peanut porridge. He would get it at Jamaican restaurants all the time along with other traditional Jamaican fare such as sorrel and peanut punch. At first I made it by grinding peanuts and oats. Then I started making it using peanut butter. Peanut porridge is a delicious way to start the day. It gives me energy and keeps my from being hungry well into the afternoon. Enjoy!

PEANUT PORRIDGE
Ingredients
1/2 cup whole oats, finely ground (I use a coffee grinder)
2 cups water
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
pure maple syrup to taste

Method
In a saucepan, using a whisk, combine the ground outs with the 2 cups water (make sure it's cool water), cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Place over low-medium heat and cook until just thickened. Add the milk and peanut butter and whisk until incorporated. Whisk enough maple syrup so that it's to your liking. Once everything is warmed through, cut off the heat and serve. You can add some sliced bananas for variety.

Makes two servings.

Yum!

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.