Monday, August 3, 2009

After many years of not doing it . . .

I'm about to start . . . wearing makeup again. Nothing major. I was never a big makeup person. But I'm going to start wearing a light concealer again, getting my eyebrows done (threaded and not waxed since I don't have much eyebrow to begin with) and an eyebrow pencil. I used to wear M.A.C. cosmetics before--no breakouts and lasts all day long so at some point this week, I hope to get over to Macy's to refigure what works for my face again. I'm excited in one way but nervous in another way. Will I actually have the time to do makeup? Half the time, I barely get a chance to look in the mirror before I step out the door. But I'm going to make an effort. And also make an effort to change my earrings and put on some jewelry.

I'm also due for a new set of eyeglasses and I'm searching for frames that are beautiful and stylish and most important, that work for my face. I'd really love to go back to contact lenses but since I have a pretty severe astigmatism, I need toric lenses and they are really expensive. I've thought about laser eye surgery but I definitely want to go to a reputable doctor which means $$. I still need to see if my insurance company will cover "medically necessary" corrective eye surgery. I mean, it's worth a try. I really can't see more that 3 inches in front of me without glasses. Very dangerous.

Anyway, these are some things I'm working on just to put a little "umph" back into the way I look. Been playing plane jane for a little too long. It's getting tired. And I'm ready to feel flyy again.

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Makeup! I continue to buy stuff, but rarely take the time to put it on. I think it's because of wearing glasses. I always feel like you can't really see my face. Weird. My mother would be thrilled if I wore makeup, she thinks you should put on makeup to go check the mail, lol.

Shay said...

I used to be a MAC girl but stumbled on to Bare Essentials the mineral makeup and its quite nice. I have uber sensitive skin and it is light enough that in a year of wearing it, I have had little in the way of breakouts. I use a combination powder/foundation and it only take a minute to put it on. I add a lipstick and a lipglass (MAC) and in less then 5 minutes my face is done.

I had stopped wearing makeup for a second and it just was not working, I felt so blah...

I love threading sadly in Maine there are mo threaders so I have to get the brows waxed.

Go Mama, get that sexy on. ;-)

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Sabrina, that's why I want the laser eye surgery or contacts or something . . . glasses really do eat up your face!!

Shay, thanks for the recommendation about Bare Essentials. Where can I get it? I am indeed trying to get my sexy on.

Raet said...

I usually do not have time to do anything very fancy with my face. Im usually rushing and Im not that great putting make up on, so I need to take my time for it to look nice. I do try to make sure my eyebrows are done. It really picks up your face. So, I guess my biggest thing is eyebrows, hair, and big earrings.

As I Cee It said...

Peace Sister,
I am new to following your blog and what I have read so far is so peace. Just understand that there are so many sister out here who are going thru similar things... being a 5%er, living the righteous culture of the Nation of Gods and Earths there are so many things that we adhere to that is similar to the Rasta life, as far as the women (and this is coming from what i have read on your blog and build (conversations) i have had with Rasta women (pardon me if this isnt the correct words). As an Earth we (as a general practice) do not where make up either.... and recently i have discovered Bare Minerals and have ordered it and love it. i only wear it every now and and again. it is so hard when we, as orignal women, strive to stay as close to our nature as possible and still want to spruce it up every now and again. My God, king, husband would rather me not b.u.t also encourages me to do what it best and most comfortable for me.

stay beautiful and i look forward to building with you soon
Peace
Queen Kalila Earth

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Raet, you're definitely right about the eyebrows.

As I Cee It . . . thank you so much for following my blog. I really appreciate your perspective. You said:
"it is so hard when we, as orignal women, strive to stay as close to our nature as possible and still want to spruce it up every now and again. My God, king, husband would rather me not b.u.t also encourages me to do what it best and most comfortable for me. "

You captured the essence of how I feel about it . . . my hubby is also against the makeup--likes my face clean best but is all about me being me and doing what makes me happy . . . gotta give thanks for supportive partners.

LoL . . . and don't ever worry about "correct" terminology. It is all good. :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.