Friday, March 5, 2010

Did some sewing

So one of the mamas at the homeschool playgroup I started a few months ago sews and offered to show me a few things.  To say that this mama totally opened up the door for me to begin seriously sewing is an understatement.  I was reminded of something:  the tools of the trade make the trade possible.  Honestly

I've sewn before.  I made a mei-tai (ABC) for Z1 and hemmed some things and made pillows and all that but it has always been a laborious, super time consuming task.  Such an undertaking.  Such a struggle.  Why?  I didn't have the right tools! 

So this mama showed me some basic things I needed and I will be well on my way.  I found a kit with everything required on Amazon:  a cutting mat, rotary cutter and acrylic quilting ruler.  This eliminates cutting fabric with scissors and using chalk to get a straight line.  Also, she taught me about a magnetic seam guide which helps you keep your work straight when pushing it through the machine.  I'm sure seasoned sewers are like, "Well, duh!"  But really, it's like the novice crocheter not knowing that the key to crocheting is the tension . . . you can crochet without it but . . . it ain't pretty. 

Anyway, I turned out a pillowcase in two hours!  The kids were wide awake and I had to stop every so often and still!  Unbelievable!!

And would you believe as I'm writing this post . . . the same mama calls and offers me . . . a wheatgrass juicer and everything needed to grow wheatgrass since they are moving back to Ireland in a week or so and can't take it.  No more expensive shots from the health food store! 

Oh, let me be a blessing to someone the way she has been a blessing to me!

The sewing session also brought up some sad feelings for me.  My mother sews and crochets but never taught me--I taught/am teaching myself/learning as an adult (and grateful for my teachers who are coming to me so easily).  It was actually a little disconcerting the feelings that came up because I struggle with not being wanted/being a disappointment.  Maybe I will work up the courage one day to ask why she never taught me these things.

And while I'm on the topic of craftiness, the crochet class I proposed to a local college over a year ago is a go if I can get one more student in the class.  Keep your fingers crossed!  This is as close as I've ever gotten! 

Photo Credit:  "Sewing Kit" by mrjoro on Flickr.com

3 comments:

CrisisMaven said...

For home educators, students and researchers: I have put one of the most comprehensive link lists for hundreds of thousands of statistical sources and indicators (economics, demographics, health etc.) on my blog: Statistics Reference List. And what I find most fascinating is how data can be visualised nowadays with the graphical computing power of modern PCs, as in many of the dozens of examples in these Data Visualisation References. If you miss anything that I might be able to find for you or if you yourself want to share a resource, please leave a comment.

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

I'm so proud of you for learning how to sew and I hope you will teach your boys. Drop me a line if you ever have any sewing questions.

navelgazingbajan said...

I also wish my mother had taught me how to sew but at least she taught me how to knit and crochet.

Congrats on the crochet class! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get that one student to make it a go.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.