Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two FOs: Old Shale Scarf and Monkey Socks (Finally)

Old Shale Scarf (Ravelry Link)


 

  

  

This was a wonderful knit.  The pattern was so easy that I memorized it in minutes yet the results were beautiful.  I started February 3 and finished February 26 which means it took me less than a month to complete which is an achievement! I used Knit Picks Gloss Sock Yarn, which is a merino wool/silk blend, in the Dolphin colorway.  It took two skeins although I could have stopped whenever I wanted to.  I hope the recipient loves it as much as I loved making it.

Monkey Socks (Ravelry Link)

 
 
 

  

  

  

I'm trying very hard not too be too critical of the job I did on these socks.  After all, this is my first attempt at sock knitting.  Perhaps I should have selected a more straightforward sock to work on as my first but that's neither here nor there.  I do know that from here on out, it's my destiny to knit simple socks.  It was just a nervewracking experience especially since I was using 8" double pointed needles instead of 6" or 4" sock needles.  It was awkward to knit these--the needles were too long and I felt the yarn was too fine for even US 2/2.75mm needles.  Anyway, these socks took me a very long time to complete:  I started February 18, 2009, and finished yesterday--over a year to complete.  But, I'm happy to say, they are finally, FINALLY, done!!  Wahoo!!  These socks are incredibly warm.  I used Regia Silk with is a wool/silk blend.  I purchased 4 skeins but I only used up 3.  The colorway is 181 and I love the mix of colors.  Reminds me of the beach.  Which is great because it's cold as anything these days and I would give anything to be on a beach right now!

So there it is:  not one but two completed projects!  I'm not sure what to knit next but I think I want to do another hat.  I'm also thinking of frogging my Sideways Grand Cloche to use the yarn for something else.  It's just too big on my head and, frankly, I think I look silly in it!

I did realize one important thing while finishing up these two projects:  I am not a stash knitter/crocheter.  I have a whole bunch of odds and ends yarn in my yarn bin that I've collected at thrift stores, yard sales or that folks have just given to me.  Apparently, I'm not creative enough to figure out what to do with it.  It just sits there and collects dust setting off my allergies something awful when I'm looking through it trying to find inspiration for another project or trying to find something that would work for a pattern I like.  I realize that the way I like to go about things is to find the pattern I like and then find a yarn that I can work with (that usually means quality yarn that's still affordable which means I buy from KnitPicks a whole lot).  Of course, there will sometimes be leftovers from projects which I don't mind but I am not the kind of crafter who buys yarn in hopes of finding a project for it.  Nope, the project is what dictates the  yarn.  I hope I remember that!

4 comments:

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

I think they look great!!

puregoldlady said...

The socks are very cute!

The Original Wombman said...

Sabrina and PGL . . . thanks!

djmadmike said...

yoooo these are hot....how much?!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.