Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The ArchAndroid

The same good friend that recommended the book I'm reading now (Three Cups of Tea) also hipped me to a relatively new artist Janelle Monae.  I got her album The ArchAndroid and the first couple of times I listened to it, I thought it was way too strange.  But it's really starting to grow on me!  It's really refreshing to hear something so radically different when everyone is essentially doing the same things over and over again.  Plus, there are some tracks on this album that have a really old school, classic feel (think Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn but also Judy Garland . . . lol!)  So I decided to do a little research and watch some videos on YouTube.  And, to my surprise, I think this sister is a natural, i.e. she wears her natural hair texture.  She gets extra cool points for that! So hats off to this very creative sister!  Once I get through this album, I'm going to check out her other one Metropolis

Here's a link to "Tightrope":



And maybe my favorite from the album, "Cold War" (I love the video, by the way!  Ms. Monae is stunning!!:


And another one I really love "Sir Greendown":





Also, check out this interesting review of The Archandroid

2 comments:

Carolina said...

I recently saw her at a music festival in San Francisco - she is just as good live as recorded. And I love when she does Charleston-esque steps while she's singing.

Kristina Brooke said...

I have only heard a few of her songs, but she is definitely someone to follow. I will definitely be returning to your blog. I am starting over and finding new blog favs is part of that.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.