Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tracts: Do they really work?

I was driving home this morning after my (amazing) yoga class and a quick (speed work) run.  I noticed two well-dressed ladies handing out tracts to the Mexican guys who wait to get picked up for work on one corner of my town's main street.  

Now, I used to be one of those ladies, shy as I was, handing out tracts in a well-intentioned effort to win souls for Christ.  Even then, I wondered how effective handing out tracts was.  I saw people stuff them into their pocket but I imagined that one day, they'd be terribly down and out, and on a chance, find the tract they stuffed in their pocket all those days ago and it would speak to them and they would give their heart to the Lord.  And my efforts at evangelism would have worked.  

Nowadays, I don't take tracts from anyone except really old ladies who are cooing at my two cutie pie boys.  

It just got me wondering . . . are tracts really an effective way to evangelize?  Do they really work?  I'm way skeptical about tracts and wonder if they are worth the paper they are printed on.  Especially in these days of constant entertainment and business.  Do people actually read them? Does it touch anyone?  I personally have never met anyone who decided to come to Christ because of a tract.  But maybe they are out there. 

Anyway, I cringe at the thought of some of the tracts I handed folks.  Stuff that would have been highly offensive to people of other faiths.  Stuff that was written to bring folks to God out of fear and not out of love.  Stuff that was just plain bizarre.  But I know my heart was pure and I was just trying to do what I thought God wanted me to do.  So maybe at the end of the day, it's really not about the recipient of the tract exactly but about the person giving them out. 


4 comments:

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

No offense meant.... But No.

I live walking distance from a Kingdom Hall. I get JW's coming to the house all the time. I tried being polite, but that didn't work. I asked them to not come back to my home, which they ignored. I had to have someone physically threaten them with bodily harm to make them stop coming. When my 1st husband died they put tracts in my mailbox explaining how he more than likely went to hell.......

I refuse to take their paperwork. And if they push.... I push back.


Peace

navelgazingbajan said...

Those tracts used to scare the daylights out of me when I was a kid. I don't come across anyone handing out tracts these days but I would politely decline if I did.

puregoldlady said...

Tracts scared me too as a child...so maybe they work?

Caroline said...

I find it very very offensive when people try to push their peices of paper trying convert me to their religion on me. I'm quite happy my religion and am not interested in exploring theirs. I decline politely if it's possible, rudely if they won't accept a polite refusal.

I can't imagine how a piece of paper from a stranger left in a pocket could bring someone to your religion. Living a fulfilled, happy, spiritual and meaningful life seems far more likely to interest someone in your religion.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.