Thursday, August 30, 2012

Z3's Birth Story!


Z3 was born at 2:25 AM on Monday, August 27, 2012.  I had gone to bed not believing that I would go into labor that Monday.  It seemed she would come on her due date or after despite the fact that I was pretty sure that I was slowly leaking amniotic fluid--enough to require that I wear a liner.  As I lay in bed waiting for sleep to come, I planned out an activity-filled day for the boys and I.  I would wake up and make breakfast then head to the consignment store to buy some sheets for the pack and play and then to Babies R Us to return the ones I had bought on Saturday thinking I’d be going into labor that night.  (On Saturday, I had been having some very irregular contractions.)  In the afternoon, I’d take the boys bowling and then to the playground.  

Eventually I fell asleep.  At 12:00 AM, a contraction woke me up.  I didn’t get too excited because a few nights before I had woken up with contractions only to find that I was dreaming.  So I just lay there waiting to see if or when another contraction would hit.  Sure enough, 6 minutes later, there was another rush.  I let my husband know that I thought I might be in labor.  We tracked the rushes for an hour and when they were four minutes apart, we called my midwife.  At this point, I was sitting on a stool and leaning over the bed.  This position felt the best, the most productive (I had tried a few different ones).  

My midwife arrived in about 40 minutes with her assistant and they quickly set up--around 1:40 AM.  The assistant checked my blood pressure and my midwife checked the baby heart rate.  Everything was going fine.  

I labored for a little longer.  I wondered how long the labor would be.  I read my birth affirmations.  I focused on my breath.  I relaxed into the rushes.  The rushes started to be 2 minutes apart and I started to feel like I might want to push.  My midwife suggested that I switch to the nursing stool and it was wonderful.  As soon as I sat down on it, my rushes seemed to pick up strength and got closer and closer.  In a short time, I really felt like I wanted to push.  My midwife checked and felt the baby’s head and let me know I was totally in the clear to push.  

I pushed once and my bag of waters broke.  I pushed twice and I felt her head come through.  Once more and Z3 was here.  Seven pounds, ten ounces of pure loveliness and light.  My midwife laid her on my chest and we moved to my bed to wait for the cord to stop pulsing.  Z3 latched on right away.  A few minutes later, I delivered the placenta.  

All told, labor and delivery was about 2 hours and 25 minutes, my quickest yet.  It was beautiful and miraculous in every way.  I learned so many precious lessons through the pregnancy and birthing process and I’m still learning so much during the postpartum period.

6 comments:

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

CONGRATS!!!

liberationtheory said...

OMG CONGRATULATIONS. It seemed like such a beautiful and peaceful labor. Thank you for sharing it with us.

The Original Wombman said...

Thank you so much!! :)

Blackgirlinmaine said...

Congrats to you and your family.

My name is Tiffany said...

Welcome Z3! Congrats on another addition to your family. Dont you just love natural child birth.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Your labor story is nothing short of amazing! May God bless you and your family.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.