Sunday, October 28, 2012

Keeping Things Going

Yesterday I was listening The 4 Keys to Magnetic Influence an episode of one of my  favorite podcasts (Underground Wellness). While I don't know if I agree with all four keys, Key #2 struck me: connection, i.e. what makes people feel connected to you.  One very important connector is your story.  People feel connected to you when you honestly and openly share your story.  Even the parts that don't make you look good.  It makes you realer.  It makes you human.  But it also sets you apart.  

Another important lesson I took away from that podcast, something I knew but needed to be reminded of is that I have something to say and something to offer.  

Lately, I've been neglecting this blog.  My life is pretty hectic right now and it's often difficult for me to find time to write or to get into the frame of mind to write cohesively. That's a practical reason.  But there's another reason too, a bigger reason.  The fact is, I have been feeling that I don't have anything worthwhile to talk about here.  I have been feeling incredibly inadequate.  

Just a quick look on Facebook and you will quickly realize that folks aren't all too keen about sharing the ugly parts of their lives.  From the looks of things on there, you'd think that folks were their dazzling higher selves 24/7/365.  At this juncture in my life, Facebook is probably the last place I need to be.  I have been very disciplined about curtailing my time on there and I'm very pleased with how much it's been helping me to counteract feelings of inadequacy and cultivate feelings of compassion for myself.  

I have a lot of my plate.  A few challenges.  There's Z3 who is only 8 weeks old and who's sleep schedule is still quite erratic.  She's got some minor issues that I have to deal with soon too.  It's autumn and my allergies pretty much make even basic things take serious effort.  (I'm dealing with an allergy attack even as I write this.)  I'm wondering if there are more tweaks to my diet I need to make and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am worn down and don't have the motivation to do change anything else.  I'm homeschooling my 7 year old Z1 and re-considering that decision almost daily.  I'm wondering whether I should go back to my Saturday job and if not, what to do instead.  I'm wondering what to do after the kids are grown and don't need me anymore and don't I need to start setting something up now?  

My life isn't glamourous by any stretch of the imagination and I'm dealing with issues that aren't pretty all the time.  I'd love to showcase the wonderful homeschool projects I'm doing and the fabulous things I'm making and coming up with but these days, the reality is that I'm just really trying to keep afloat.  Just trying to stay somewhere close to my standard (and managing to do so only two-thirds of the time).  And hoping that I haven't previously given the impression on this blog that everything in my life is rosy.  I believe I've kept it real.  

What I realized the other day while listening to that UW podcast is that instead of taking down this blog like I had originally wanted to do, I really want to continue sharing here in the hopes that my unique situation and story will maybe connect to someone, encourage someone, or at least make it so that someone out there will not feel so alone in their own situation.  

Who knows if anyone still reads this blog. It's not like I had a huge following at some point.  But writing is cathartic for me and so I'm hoping that with all my newly found Facebook free time, I will find the time to write more regularly.  

13 comments:

Berta D said...

Thanks for being honest. It is nice to know that many of us adding the same boat. I am still here ready to listen whenever you are ready to talk

The Original Wombman said...

Thanks Berta. :)

~MGF said...

I found your blog some years ago and was interested enough to bookmark your site. Thank you for your honesty and for being so open about your life. I love reading about how you interact with life. I too have a blog and just ramble on a little about me and my family.

After reading this post and your thought that you didn’t think you had much to say, I felt a great urgency to write and let you know that you have indeed planted “a seed” way down in Lower Alabama to this individual living in the second half of her life. I don’t often comment on others’ writings but maybe I need to so that you and the others will know that you are touching others through what you have to say or by just sharing your day to day life. A lesson learned today for me! Thanks!!!

Connection. Everyone I meet, whether in person or through the Internet is a conduit to my present life…a channel to my Future.

Don’t give up your writings. However, do consider publishing your postings as a legacy for your children. Search Booksmart…a wonderful tool.

The Original Wombman said...

MGF, thanks so much! I certainly do need the encouragement and I so appreciate it. I'm so excited to see that folks are still reading! :)

Empress Dawta said...

I am a follower of your blog. If it wasn't for the blog, I wouldn't know the beautiful person that you are. So, I'm thankful for it and for everything that you have shared over the years. You have helped me in so many ways. You are more than adequate!!

Dee said...

I don't always have the time to comment, but I'm still here.

liberationtheory said...

I definitely still read, even if I don't comment often. I admire your honesty and tenacity. I take note about you strive to be authentic and are always pushing yourself to define what authenticity means to you.

Yes, I'm a fan

aybee77 said...

I follow your blog, although I don't comment. I like that you have the courage to live the way you do with respect to homeschooling your kids (I wish I did).

FuFulady said...

Im not even sure how stumbled upon your blog, but as soon as I read the name of it I was hooked. I enjoy all the experiences/info shared. Thank you

I am the sum of my parts said...

I am ever reading, ever inspired, ever encouraged/ing... Keep writing mama!

Blackgirlinmaine said...

I rarely have a chance to read blogs like I used to but know that yours is one I hold dear. Please keep writing and know that there are many others who struggle with those same feelings ( I am one of em).

Anonymous said...

Your candor is so refreshing. Thanks for keeping it real and know that you're not alone in how you feel.

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Innovative Concept to Help Dieters LOSE 15 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.