For the baby surprise jacket today. Actually, I cast on twice. I'm using a provisional cast on for the sleeve portions of the jacket so that I can extend the sleeves later. First off, casting on this way had eluded me until I found that particular site. Anytime directions involve a crochet hook, I'm always more comfortable so it was rather easy to cast on. Then I had to figure out how to cast on the body section (I usually do a long tail cast on). I decided to do a cable cast on, which worked well. Well, I got confused and ended up with a total of 156 stitches when I was supposed to have 160. And I forgot to place my markers. I thought about just increasing the stitches in the appropriate sections since it was fairly labor intensive to cast on in the first place. In the end, I decided to frog it and do it again. No small feat especially with an almost 3 year old and 5 month old. But, now I am well on my way and I can't wait to see what this turns out like even though my markers are wonky.
As for DH's cotton hat with the Manos del Uruaguay Stria (cotton yarn), I think the whole thing was a disaster. The yarn is plied and not worsted--I didn't realize that this wouldn't really suit the purpose, i.e., it needs to be a strong, durable type of yarn. And it's not. I popped a few stitches just trying to get it on my head and my head is smaller than DH's. Cotton yarn does not give at all but at least usually you can rely on its strength. Not in this case. And this was pretty pricey yarn. At least the color is pretty. Luckily, DH found a black cotton net type hat I made out of crochet cotton (bedspread weight) a while back. He modified the brim by changing it from a drawstring to 2 inches of single crochet with a row of crab stitch to finish it off. And it hold his hair and he seems to love it now. And since it was a net pattern I used, it's light and airy--perfect for summer.