Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Official Unofficial Start of Summer!

We went out to Brooklyn today for the BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) Street Festival. This is our second year going and it has become our family's official unofficial summer kick-off event. Last year, I was pregnant with Z2. (This year, I played myself once again and tried to rock the Peg Perego Double Stroller I blogged about before. I am now totally convinced that the stroller must go. I have to make time to take pictures so I can put it on Craig's list and see how much I can get for it. If no one buys it, I'm freecycling it. If no one wants it then, I have to find out where I can donate it.) Anyway . . . we had a fabulous time, as usual. It's always a joy to see beautiful Black people being warm, friendly and loving towards each other. I love to see all the talented and industrious folks selling their wares and even though I rarely see anything new anymore (I've been going to street festivals in NY for years now), I never tire of going. This year, I did find something new though: hand-blended specialty teas made by a company called Not Just Tea. These teas are simply delicious and rival my favorite Numi teas. And since it's a Black owned company, it's a pleasure, no a duty of mine to support it!

If you know me, you know I'm one of the pickiest eaters there are. At the street festival last year, in a fit of pregnancy induced hunger, I bought an $8 vegetarian plate from one of the vendors. It was gross. Just gross. This year, I decided to make Jamaican "Beef" Patties. For events that require us to be out all day, patties are a great option because they're very portable, taste good even if they're not piping hot, and Z1 *adores* them and can eat 2 or 3 in one sitting. Now, we don't eat processed soy on a regular basis at all (I don't think it's the best for us) but these patties taste so authentic using Lightlife Smart Round that I allow it once or twice a year.

Picture:



















Recipe:

PASTRY
2 c unbleached all-purpose white flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. Jamaican curry powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1/3 cup really cold water

Sift together the flour, salt and curry powder in a large bowl. Cut in the margarine. Add the water and and mix until the dough comes together. (I do this in the Kitchenaid). You may need to add a tbsp or so of water if you find that it's not coming together--be patient though. Lightly flour your rolling surface and rolling pin and roll out the dough until it's about 1/8" thick. Cut out circles 8" in diameter.

"BEEF" FILLING
2 tbsp. non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (Again, I use Earth Balance
half of a large yellow onion or one small yellow onion, chopped fine
1/2 of one Scotch bonnet pepper (leave the seeds for more fire), chopped fine
One 12 oz. package Lightlife Smart Round
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. Jamaican curry powder
1/2 tsp dry thyme
1/2 cup vegetable stock

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a heavy bottomed skilled (I use cast-iron), saute the onion and Scotch bonnet pepper until the onions are translucent. Add the spices and continue to saute until they are fragrant. Add the Smart Round and brown it about 5 mins. Add the vegetable stock and stir until it is absorbed (but not dry). You mixture should be moist but not watery. Place 2-3 tbsp. of your mixture into each dough circle and fold the circle in half. Seal the edges. You can use a fork to pinch the edges closed and for a decorative element.

Bake for 30 mins. till the pastry is golden brown.

Yum!!!~~

I'm not sure if Z1 loves the patties using the Smart Round of if he just loves the patty concept (no one loves bread more than my Z1). So . . . I'm going to try to fill the patties with a spicy, steamed cabbage and kale (or calalloo) or with seitan and see if he goes for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your recipes! You really inspire me to do more and follow my heart and do what I enjoy. I am blessed to call you my sister. Keep up the work of the creator.
Love Annette

Chi-Chi said...

Thanks Ann! Love you! :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.