Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crash Book Review

Because I don't have time to give an in-depth review of all the books I've read over the last couple of weeks, I'm going to do drive-by reviews and say that all these books are enjoyable and worth reading.

The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu

A futuristic book that imagines what the world is like after "The Great Change". This book was intriguing because it is set in and around present day Nigeria.








A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

A classic book that documents the coming of age of a young poor girl. I think what intrigued me the most about the book was the father in that he was a series of contradictions--yet the protagonist loves him fiercely. It really made me think about how devoted children are to their fathers no matter how or what they are.






Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

This book is still making me shiver. It imagines the world in 2022 that has run out of oil (two and three car garages are to the main character a fascinating relic of the past) and where the economy has completely crashed. There's chaos, to say the least. The book is not very hopeful. It is gorey. But it is an excellent warning. Excellent read.





Dawn by Octavia Butler
Another post-apocalyptic read by the unmatched Octavia Butler. This one was a little out there . . . strange but delicious to read. It imagines a world that has been destroyed by nuclear warfare. A handful of humans are saved by an alien species (the Oankali). The main character, Lilith, tries to figure out why they have been saved and learns the disturbing truth: the Oankali plan to mix and cross-breed with humans as it is essential to their own survival. I want to read the next 2 books in the series but I'm trying hard to get my knitting/crochet on. So I think I'm going to take a break for a while.



Currently Reading
Angela's Ashes by James McCourt











I also found out that my little godson has learned to read. I am overjoyed. One of my best memories from childhood was hearing myself string letters together to make words and then those words clicking in my brain and making sense and then realizing I was reading. One of my most joyous moments was being able to walk into the library, sign my name on the back of my first library card and borrow books. What a joy and succor to my soul is reading!

3 comments:

DeStouet said...

Chi-chi,

It's funny you should mention how reading is one of your best memories from childhood, because it is the same for me.

I have very little formal education because I was always being shipped from one group home to the next. If it wasn't a group home it was a hospital, shelter or detention center. But I am a reader, a lover of books.

Almost everything I have learned have been from reading or observing. I am also happy for your godson.

I look forward to heading off to college in the next year though...:) I am going to do GREAT!

Chi-Chi said...

Even though I do have a lot of formal education, I must agree, I have learned much more, actually most of what I know from a book.

Yes, you are going to do GREAT in college!!! I cannot wait to hear that you've graduated, with highest honors! What do you want to study??

DeStouet said...

I am a storyteller by heart, so I was interested in being an English major, but with the economy being the way that it is, I was thinking about getting my degree in Education (teacher).

Teachers are always needed and it also allows me time to write during the summers.

LOL! I honestly can not wait to graduate with highest honors. I've wanted to go to college my entire life.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.