Tuesday, February 17, 2009

FO: Yoga Mat Bag





I started this yoga mat bag a few weeks ago as an interim project while I figured out what to do about Emma's Sweater (I ran out of yarn for it). I really enjoyed working on it and I am so pleased with how it turned out. It fits the yoga mat perfectly. I really needed this project. The familiarity of crochet was comforting and the project was quick with nice results. In these days of my life where I'm constantly squeezing out minutes to do things, I'm pleased that it came out so well.

I crocheted it using a simple stitch pattern of 2 rows double crochet and one row single crochet with every third stitch a bobble. I used single crochet for the strap and edged it with crab stitch. I added a red cotton drawstring and wooden beads which in addition to the wool that the bag is primarily made out of, to me, make the bag more alive and organic which is quite symbolic as it's the bag that holds the mat that facilitates my yoga practice.

I still can't believe I actually have a yoga practice and I never imagined I would enjoy it so much. I'm looking forward to delving more deeply into the principles and the practice. In the mornings, I read some of The Ten Living Principles--Yamas and Vinyamas. Some other resources I'm glad to have found are Yoga Journal, a description of the eight kinds of yoga, and Yoga Today, a resource that I can hardly believe is free. I previewed Hemalaya Behl's Yoga for Urban Living and I liked it a great deal. I purchased it for less than $7 secondhand, shipping and handling included. I think it's a nice addition to my collection. Sometime in the future, I hope to take a real class. Yoga just feels . . . right.

Namaste.

"Sunset Yoga" by GrahamKing on Flickr

2 comments:

80sBaby70sSoul said...

oooooooooooooooo...I want one!!!

Matsindia said...

Hello,
I have read your interesting blog related to yoga mats. These are very interesting facts covered on this blog.
You can also find some more facts about yoga mats in this site:-
http://www.matsindia.com/

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.