Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Perfect Health Can Be Yours!!

Or can it?

As I was leaving the library the other day, I caught sight of a book by Deepak Chopra called Perfect Health: The Complete Mind Body Guide. I borrowed the book not because I was deeply interested but just out of curiosity.

The first chapter starts:
"There exists in every person a place that is free from disease, that never feels pain, that cannot age or die. When you go to this place, limitations which all of us accept cease to exist. They are not even entertained as a possibility.

This is the place called perfect health."

I suppose Chopra believes his book will be the guide that will lead readers to that place.

I couldn't help the feeling. Bordering on anger but more so skepticism. Vigorous skepticism.

I haven't read through the book so maybe I'm not being fair. I'll accept that.

I need to know: are we talking about real perfect health physically where I don't have any ailments or issues or are we talking about experiencing perfect health in spite of our issues? Are we talking about perception here? I can get with that. But from the back of the book, it seems Chopra is talking about really transcending our "ordinary limitations" and achieving perfect health, i.e. actually having no disease/illness at all.

I thought to myself, why the skepticism? Don't you believe that you can be perfectly healthy?

And then I realized that I don't. This might be defeatist thinking at it's finest but I just don't.

The hubby thinks it's possible if you can figure out the foods you are supposed to eat and then go live where those things grow locally. He thinks where those foods grow is probably where you'd feel most alive and you'd be able to heal quickly and overall enjoy perfect health. I can get with that.

But I guess at this point I'm tired of the "gurus" telling me how to achieve this or achieve that. It seems too complex, human beings are so different and so unique that, it seems, there's no one way to health. Even though Chopra breaks down four different groups that we all could fall under, I found that I didn't quite fit neatly into any group. If he's basing his recommendations for perfect health on what group you belong to and I don't fit into any group, what then?

Okay, I haven't read the book yet so I might be unduly critical but still. Sometimes I feel this is all a game using people's desperation to be well to make these "health experts" wealthy. It's kind of a dark place for me to be in but I've been on this road to illusory perfect health for years now and, alas, I feel further from it now than I was when I started down the road.

Anyway, I don't know if there's such a thing as perfect health while we inhabit our human bodies. We don't live in a bubble. We live in a world that can sometimes be very toxic to us. Even the air we breathe. We contend with our genetics that pre-dispose us to certain chronic conditions. We have handicaps and disabilities. Would a wheelchair bound individual still qualify as an example of perfect health if he follows this book to a tee but never walks? Is that perfect health? What about someone who is deaf but never regains her hearing? Perfect health there? And furthermore, I tend to think that the set of challenges we face genetically or through circumstance help us to reach a higher place. In terms of reincarnation, if you believe in it, we work through and resolve issues to break the cycle. Is this higher place what Chopra means? Does he think we can experience that right now?

I guess I want to believe that changing diet and eating better (better for your own specific body) can reverse certain illnesses/conditions. Maybe I haven't found the right combination to make me truly believe. I don't have a testimony. What I can honestly attest to is that I.am.pooped. And almost at my wit's end. I almost feel like I just better learn to live joyfully and vibrantly in spite of the issues instead of obsessing about getting rid of them.

So I guess I don't believe perfect health can be achieved while in the flesh. I like to think we can work to try to get as close to perfect health as we can. And of course what I consider to be as close to perfect health might not be what another person considers perfect health.

2 comments:

Ensayn1 said...

Chi-Chi, this is so right on. Just what is perfect health? I wonder. I do know we can live free from dis-ease, meaning we may encounter an illness, but our bodies can be made strong enough to ward off dis-ease to the point we may only feel a slight weakness in our bodies but may not be knocked off our feet.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

I totally agree Ensayn. To me, being able to kick illness quickly without any remnants is what the healthy body does. I watched my son recover effortlessly from a broken clavicle in about 3 weeks and I learned what the body is supposed to. It wants to heal itself. If you we can remember the tools it needs (spiritual and physical) and use them.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.