Tuesday, September 22, 2009

So now what?

I was a walk-in today at my doctor's office. She made me blow my nose and looked at the snot. The snot was clear although in the mornings when I first wake, it's green and thick. Then she looked up my nose and could see that the sinuses are swollen shut. Her advice? Keep up with ridiculously expensiveClaritin D and a nasal spray. That is to say, it's not an infection. Just a really bad stuffy nose. That has lasted for all these weeks? I'm not so sure about that. But I figured I'd give her recommendations a try. So I went to the pharmacy and dropped off my prescription. When I came to pick it up, the pharmacist says, "$60 co-pay". Uh, no. I shouldn't have a co-pay for nasal spray--especially not one that high. Turns out that my insurance doesn't cover the nasal spray the doctor prescribed.

I called the doctor to see if the prescription could be rewritten. I guess I'll go pick it up later.

But in my gut I know this is an infection. It has to be. I have never had these symptoms persist so long. At this point, I'm wishing for just a regular old allergy attack. And that speaks volumes.

3 comments:

Emily said...

So sorry to hear about your sufferings with this sinus problem. For infection I have used oil of oregano, found in capsule form as well as straight oil at health food stores, we take it as directed on the bottle whenever we feel really sick, I think it is 2 pills 3 times a day. I hate to use antibiotics or any western medicine for that matter and always seek an alternative. My husband was given the advice from a coworker, not sure of the science behind it but he said it to have antibiotic properties, it has always worked for us. Actually I am making my own solar infusion of the oil right now, should be ready in a couple weeks. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try. Hope you are well soon.

(Search "oil of oregano" on the internet for more information, I am in no way qualified to diagnose or reccomend treatment for any illness, please research for yourself first and only do what is right for you.)

DeltaPurl said...

My doctor says when it is green it is an infection......

Raet said...

Yes, green usually means infection.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.