Sunday, November 1, 2009

2010 Fitness Goals?

Yup, I'm already thinking about what I'd like to achieve next year fitness-wise. My main goal next year is to really develop upper body strength. I want to be able to do push ups, chin-ups, planks, side planks, and all that. Right now, I'm barely able although I've come a long way since I started working out consistently in January. As is the case for many women, my upper body is a weak point and most of my strength is in my legs. I'd like a more even distribution and I'm looking forward to the challenge. My arms and shoulders are taking shape nicely and I'm pleased with the definition ("cuts") I'm starting to see. But what I really want are killer arms. :)

I found this useful article while googling tonight. And I've been doing The Trainer's Edge: Long and Lean Yoga by Baron Baptiste which is a huge challenge for me right now. By the end of 2010, I'd at least like to be able to keep up. See, what I love about yoga is that building upper body strength doesn't use weights--just your own body as weight. I agree wholeheartedly with Baptiste that this is a more functional, natural kind of strength-building. And while I don't totally discount lifting weights and enjoy lifting weights, I prefer yoga style strength training.

What are your 2010 fitness goals? Have you thought about it yet?

Photo Courtesy of http://www.thespafitnesscenter.com/myspa/index.html

5 comments:

navelgazingbajan said...

My 2010 fitness goal is to begin a more regular yoga practice again. I've fallen off sharply from what I used to do. my only problem is that I leave home for work before dawn and return at dusk. Exercise then becomes the last thing on my mind but I know I should do it. Keep inspiring me Chi Chi. Oh, and if I remember correctly, side plank and have a lot to do with abdominal strength so don't forget that part. A lot of yoga asanas develop your core strength.

navelgazingbajan said...

I meant to say side plank and plank in the earlier post..

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

I've been thinking about this too. I'm getting ready to start the 30 day shred w/Jillian Micheals. I get off Exercise TV and she seems pretty intense. I think I want to continue to exercise regularly and with purpose and improve my nutrition.

Yoga Spy said...

Don't laugh, but I want to sleep for 7.5 hours (my optimal amount) per night. That means sleeping by 11pm because I wake by 6:30am. Sleep deprivation is sneaky: it doesn't totally derail you but it adds up.

My daily yoga practice and regular gym workouts are fine, but of course it's always a good idea to shake things up: focus on different asanas; change the workout to match the season (eg, swim in summer; ride stationary bike in winter).

Ask again come spring! For now, let's all go day by day and be fit all winter. (Hope no one's caught the flu!).

Yoga Spy
www.yogaspy.wordpress.com

PS Kudos on your uttanasana progress!

puregoldlady said...

well, I do have a goal to be able to do 10 pushups by Dec. 31 this year. lol....focusing on upper body strength as well. We will see if I get there....

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.