Sunday, January 17, 2010

FO: Clapotis

I'm so excited to finally be able to share my Clapotis! I have wanted to knit this for a long time and so it feels great to say I did it. This project was a lot of fun to do even though it was a relatively large project because it was easy to memorize the pattern and the motion was fluid and repetitive without being boring. In other words, there was enough variety in what I was doing to keep me engaged but I didn't have to devote 110% of my focus to the project. This translated into a project I could do while the kids were awake which was great. It was nice to have my fingers working on something consistently for so long and I have to say, the finished product is beautiful. It has a lacy feel to it because of the dropped stitches but I used medium sized needles (Size 7) and a worsted weight yarn. So here are some pictures:



The pictures don't do this pattern much justice so I hope you look at some pictures from other folks to get a better idea of just how pretty it is.

The yarn I used was Filatora Lanarota that I got last year at Smiley's Yarn blowout. I really love this deep and rich color but I think if I were to do this pattern again in the future, I would go for a variegated yarn or something a bit lighter. I bought four skeins of this color for this project but I ended up only using two and a half. That was a nice surprise and I'm already thinking about what I'll use the rest of the yarn for. Z1 needs another extra-large soaker (that boy has some thick, muscular thighs--sheesh) and this yarn would be perfect for such a project.

Since I've got some momentum going, I immediately started on another (simple) project: a crocheted hot water bottle cover. I'm using just some oddly colored variegated cotton yarn that I had in my stash. We usually wrap our hot water bottle in towels to keep it from burning the skin but a cover actually made for it would be much more functional. I'm only loosely following the pattern, I have to say though, because I am a much more advanced crocheter, I basically know what to do without needed to stay glued to the pattern. This project will be my daytime work while the kids are awake. I am determined to finish my Monkey sock by the end of next week by the latest. How long can a project wait to get finished? Yeah, it's really time to finish!

So I've got my knitting/crochet mojo back (I think). Chimamanda Adichie's new book That Thing Around Your Neck just came in at the library (I had put it on hold). I hope it doesn't derail me too much.

1 comment:

Sabrina @ my little slice of pie said...

Gorg! I love red! Clapotis is on my list. I'm so far behind in my knitting it's not even funny, but you've inspired me to move that to the top of the list, right after the Central Park hoodie I have planned.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.