Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Abandoning Ship!

Recently I thought to myself that so many folks who stated that they wanted to homeschool have abandoned ship and joined the school-at-school bandwagon.  I can't fault them.  No way.  We each have our priorities in life.  Each know for our own selves what it is we are willing to forfeit and those things on which we will absolutely not compromise.  If there's one thing life has taught me it's to avoid speaking in absolutes.  Today I may be totally okay giving up something.  Tomorrow may be another story.  So while I'm sad some folks who would have made amazing homeschooling buddies are going the school route, I can understand abandoning ship.  It's a huge responsibility and while there's plenty to gain, there's also a good deal of sacrifice involved. 

But I too am abandoning ship somewhat.  I am abandoning cloth diapering.  Okay, maybe abandoning is a bit too dramatic.  I still intend to cloth diaper at home but I am giving up the fight when it comes to going out.

Z2 is a little over 2.5 years now and he is nowhere near close to learning how to use the toilet.  Z1 learned when he was about Z2's age, maybe a touch older.  I did it by letting him go commando and in 2 weeks, he got the hang of peeing.  By 4 weeks, he'd mastered pooping.  With Z2 though, I can't do the commando thing.  There's just too many moving parts and too much other stuff I have to do.  I can't be running after him with a bottle hydrogen peroxide, cleaning up accidents, and doing multiple clothes changes daily.  So I'm going to have to let Z2 learn to use the toilet at his own time and in his own way.  I heard a piece of advice to do all diaper changes in the bathroom so they associate their elimination needs with the bathroom.  I've been doing this for about two months now and Z2 doesn't seem any closer to using the toilet.  

Anyway, our cloth diapers are really, really, totally on their last leg.  As it is, most of the pocket diapers except for 4 require a cover.  For those who don't know, pocket diapers should not require a diaper cover.  On most of our diapers, the elastic is shot and snaps are falling off.  But we're making do and trying not to purchase anything else in the way of diapers.  I'd been using the 4 good pocket diapers as going out diapers.  Now, however, they are getting too tight so for the past few months, I've just been keeping the bottom snap unsnapped.  I could buy a couple more diapers but really, it was not in my plan to buy any more cloth diapers.  Maybe if there were a chance that there would be more babies . . .

Then it just occurred to me that using cloth diapers when we're out is a hassle.  And I'm tired.  They take up a lot of space, have to be changed more frequently (if I don't want a leak) and I have to lug dirty diapers home.  And I'm just tired.  My enthusiasm has waned.  Significantly.  If I'm using disposable diapers, I can pack one bag that will comfortably hold food, my wallet and stuff, diapers and wipes, and another pair of pants for Z1 and Z2 in case of an accident.  So, I'm going to suck it up and get some disposable diapers for going out.  I may spring for some unbleached, natural diapers but most likely, the diapers will be from Costco.  

Sounds horrible, I know but honestly,  I feel like I have done my part and I need a break.  I'm not trying to put out any extra money getting any more specialized diapers.  Z1 wore cloth diapers until he learned to use the toilet and Z2 will continue to wear cloth at home. 

So yes, I too am abandoning ship in a way.  And joining the ranks of disposable diaper users everywhere!  And it's a relief.  Like I said, everyone has their priorities and my priority (when it comes to diapers) right now is convenience.

2 comments:

navelgazingbajan said...

I'm also a mixed diaper mom. We do disposables at night and when going out. It's not my ideal scenario but it's what works for us right now.

Tara said...

If there's one thing that parenting has taught me, it's never say never! We're homeschooling now but I don't know what the future will bring us. We have done a mixture of cloth and disposable and are entirely in disposable pullups for my youngest (older is potty trained, thank heavens). My gigantic three year old shows no signs of being ready to be potty trained and I just can't invest in larger sized cloth training pants. You do what you have to do.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.